    As another reference point, the EF 17-40mm f/4L USM has 104° max.

    What is the real max angle for the 18mm?

    Thanks.

    Chris Carlen, Sep 19, 2003

  2. The crop factor for the Digital Rebel body is 1.6. Thus the
    35mm-equivalent focal length, at the wide end, of the 18-55 on a digital
    body is 18 x 1.6 = 28.8. So logically, it should even be slightly *less*.

    Jouni Filip Maho, Sep 19, 2003

  3. Chris Carlen

    Todd Walker Guest

    Well, this is just a guess but the 18-55 only fits one camera -- the
    300D. If you consider the 1.6x focal length multiplier, the 18 mm wide
    end becomes 28.8 mm. The specs for the EF 28-200 are no doubt given
    based on its actual widest focal length of 28 mm. Therefore, the angle
    of view for both lenses would be the same, if you are using the 28-200
    on a film SLR and the 18-55 on the 300D, the only camera it will fit on.
    Of course if you put the 28-200 on the 300D it becomes a 45-320...

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Sep 19, 2003
  4. Over the 43 mm diagonal of a 35 mm frame.
    This is over the approximately 27 mm diagonal of the 300D sensor. Since
    18:27 is the same ratio as 28:43, the field of view is the same.
    That's a 17 mm focal length, on an image diagonal of 43 mm.
    You pick the diagonal, we can tell you how to calculate the max angle.
    But the lens is *designed* for the 300D sensor diagonal, and probably
    loses image quality and illumination once you get very far outside
    that.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Sep 19, 2003