Tying tops of plastic bags?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Serendipity, Oct 9, 2003.

  1. Serendipity

    Serendipity Guest

    A few moons ago I asked if anyone could point me in the
    direction of a source (in the UK) that could provide a little device
    for twist tying the tops of black plastic refuse bags.

    Most of the answers were alternative ideas of solving
    the problem, but that wasn't what I was looking for.

    The device is similar in appearance to the old style
    pump screwdriver, but the rotation was exactly the
    opposite in that thetwisting action turned in an anti-clockwise
    direction.

    I was given an address, but upon following it up, I found
    that it was a very professional "Packaging" company, helpful
    as could be, but expensive. The device, and the 'twist' wires
    which I had bought from an old fashioned Ironmonger a few
    years ago had jumped in price from - if memory serves me
    correctly - from under £3.00 to something approaching £40.00
    which is beyond my means.

    So, the question is, does anyone know of one of these
    devices at a more reasonable - to me - price?

    Thank you in advance for your advice.

    Serendipity, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Serendipity

    Mara Guest

    Try here:

    http://www.securityseal.com/international/sigilliborse.htm

    Mara, Oct 9, 2003

  3. Serendipity

    Greg M Guest

    If nothing at the place Mara sent you works, look for supplies
    involving sandbags.

    They make an inexpensive crank with a hook on the end. It uses short,
    4 or 5 inch long wires with loops on each end. Fold the wire, match
    the loops, put the hook end in the loops and crank a few times. That
    closes the bags.

    Greg M, Oct 9, 2003
  4. Serendipity

    SgtMinor Guest

    To add to the previous responses, these ties and twisting tools are used
    in the construction industry for tying rebar prior to cement pouring.
    Take a look here for ties and twisters:
    http://www.icfaccessories.com/icf_tools_rebar_and_wire_tools.htm

    The 'pig tail' tool has a handle that turns around the shaft so that
    with a circular motion of your hand you twist the tie. The handle on
    the 'hand tying tool' is pulled/pushed up and down over a spiralled
    shaft, causing the shaft to spin and twist the tie.

    You'll need the double loop wire ties for these tools.

    SgtMinor, Oct 9, 2003
  5. Serendipity

    Brian H¹© Guest

    SgtMinor said:
    I just grab the rubbish bags and throw them straight in the dustbin.
    Doesn't cost me a penny to make my rubbish bags look pretty for the dustmen, not
    that they care.

    Brian H¹©, Oct 9, 2003
  6. Perhaps the OP is using the bags for something else, though....?

    Sentient Fluid, Oct 9, 2003
  7. Serendipity

    SgtMinor Guest

    Dang, Brian, I had to go to the English to American language dictionary
    to understand this. Let's see now, rubbish is trash, a dustbin is a
    garbage can, and dustmen are waste disposal technicians. And while
    researching occupational terms, I also noted that what we call a
    vice-president is a senior clerk in Britain.

    SgtMinor, Oct 9, 2003
  8. Serendipity

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Good job I didn't talk about lemon and lime zones :-D

    Brian H¹©, Oct 9, 2003
  9. Serendipity

    Bryan Guest

    The geyzers in the cart come round our drum at the crack, and helpful? I
    should cocoa! All you gotta do is butcher the bleeders wrongly and yer bins
    a non-emptier for a fortnight!

    (spanner - works)
    lol

    Bryan, Oct 9, 2003
  10. Serendipity

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Bryan said:
    I'm sorry, you missed me, am I too late?
    Nah, jump up on the cart.

    Where's me tigers 'ead?
    (4 foot from it's tail)

    :-D

    Brian H¹©, Oct 9, 2003
  11. Serendipity

    Bryan Guest

    Ah, Lonnie my lad!
    :)

    Bryan, Oct 9, 2003
  12. Serendipity

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Bryan said:
    :)

    You know, you could get yer skin 'n' blister or trouble 'n' strife to invite
    them in for Rosie Lee at the Cain and Able, and they will be emptying yer bins
    every day ;-)

    Make sure there is a no entry sign on the apples and pears though :-D

    Brian H¹©, Oct 9, 2003
  13. Serendipity

    Bryan Guest

    ;)

    Bryan, Oct 9, 2003
  14. Serendipity

    SgtMinor Guest

    Omelet this one slide...

    SgtMinor, Oct 9, 2003
  15. Serendipity

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Lemon and lime is Cockney rhyming slang for time ;-)

    Brian H¹©, Oct 9, 2003
  16. Serendipity

    SgtMinor Guest

    I've seen some of that stuff and it struck me as a call for help.

    SgtMinor, Oct 9, 2003