Tyan S2865 (Tomcat K8E) -> Installing Windows Server 2003 x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Jul 5, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have done some research and it appears this is more than likely a hardware
    problem but I figured I would ask anyway. I just put together an AMD 64
    system built on top of a Tyan S2865 motherboard. When booting off the CD the
    first screen displayed is an error:

    "Enable the local advanced programmable interrupt controller (APIC). The
    x64-based operating system you are loading does not have APIC enabled. Check
    the sysem's fireware settings and make sure that the firmware has enabled the
    APIC on this system. If the firmware does not have an APIC setting, please
    contact the system manufacturer for a firmware update to enable the local
    APIC.

    Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit."

    I have downloaded the latest BIOS from Tyan, and the setting to enable APIC
    in the BIOS is on (I tried it "on" and "off" same results). I am waiting to
    hear from Tyan but meanwhile has anyone seen this problem and have any
    information? Thank you.

    Guest, Jul 5, 2005

  2. x64 Edition, both Server and Professional, requires APIC 2.0 support. Most of
    the mobos I've seen have it, but apparently your Tyan doesn't. It should.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 5, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Then this is the problem, I can select 1.1 or 1.4 for the version, however
    2.0 is not an option. Odd I was certain my research turned up people using
    this board with x64 Windows but I must have been mistaken. Thank you very
    much for your help.

    Guest, Jul 6, 2005
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I am sorry the setting I was changing was the MPS Version Control which of
    course has nothing to do with APIC. Tyan contacted me and is looking into
    the problem if and when I have an update I will post what I find.

    Guest, Jul 6, 2005
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Well I seem to have found a work around to the problem I describe below.
    Just to try something I re-enabled ACPI (not not APIC) which I usually
    disable when "optimizing" the BIOS. After doing so the error referring to
    _APIC_ went away. I mentioned this to a co-worker and he explained he had
    precisely the same experience installing Windows XP x64 on his own machine.
    He initially disabled ACPI, had the error, then he enabled ACPI and was able
    to install. Anyone have any ideas why this might act like this?

    Guest, Jul 6, 2005
  6. ACPI and APIC are related, so this doesn't particularly surprise me.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 8, 2005