Two USB wireless cards on one machine.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dave, Jan 31, 2006.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    This should be possible, but having problems...

    I have a Netgear wireless adaptor hanging out the window which connects well
    with a Netgear router. Connection is shared Infrastructure and works fine.

    I want to add another USB adaptor which will generate an ad hoc facility to
    which I can connect my laptop indoors by wifi.

    First bit works fine, as I say. Second bit... the connection is 'not
    connected'

    I'm also not sure about using the Netgear configuration thing where there
    are two identical adaptors on the machine.

    Any thoughts please?

    Windows XP Pro, lots of RAM etc.

    Dave

    Dave, Jan 31, 2006

  2. I wonder if you may have to start your computer with one
    USB adapter unplugged and plug it in after the one
    hanging out the window connects to the network? It may
    be that the USB can't be configured as an access point.

    http://www.usbman.com/index.htm

    http://www.wi-fi.org/OpenSection/windows_tips.asp?TID=2

    You can always try this stuff:

    http://www.j-walk.com/other/wifispray/