    I appreciate that as my router is the dhcp server it can only issue
    auto IPs to one subnetwork and the other would need fixed.

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, May 6, 2006

  2. Geoff Lane

    Conor Guest

    Yes if you want to connect more than one computer to each subnet (aka
    PC to PC with crossover cable).

    Conor, May 6, 2006

  3. Geoff Lane

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    My Draytek can handle 2 subnets. Maybe your router can already do this?
    If not I can't help I'm afraid, I don't know enough to help you.

    Jon, May 6, 2006
  4. Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane Guest

    I've got an older Draytek 2600, to the best of my knowledge it only
    handles one subnet but I'll have another look.

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, May 7, 2006
  5. Geoff Lane

    Alex Fraser Guest

    Look for a way to assign more than one IP address to the LAN-side interface.

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, May 7, 2006
  6. Geoff Lane

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    I use a 2600VG. Look in main menu > Lan/TCPIP setup.

    There has also just been a firmware update for draytek 2600 series:

    http://www.draytek.com/support/download/Vigor2600V.php

    Jon, May 7, 2006
  7. Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane Guest

    My Draytek can handle two subnets but I think, unless I'm reading it
    wrongly, it is for use by multiple IP addresses on the WAN side.

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, May 8, 2006
  8. Geoff Lane

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    I'm no expert by any stretch of imagination, but it definitely looks
    like LAN side to me. The title of the page is LAN IP Configuration, and
    when I click on "2nd Subnet DHCP Server" it opens up a window where I
    can assign IPs to MACs. Look like LAN side to me.

    Jon, May 8, 2006
  9. Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane Guest

    A private reply via the draytek (my router) forum suggests it is for
    use with multiple IPs issued by the ISP.

    I've experimented and so far the second subnet doesn't get out to the
    internet, I've tried altering the gateway address etc but so far no
    luck.

    It does seem though to allow LAN side routing.

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, May 9, 2006
  10. Interesting one, it should work in theory because in a public IP
    configuration you would assign the IP addresses from your public
    network to the one subnet, the router would get its WAN IP from the
    ISP, but it may do something strange with NAT with those IPs, which
    means you could go internally but not externally.

    Is there any real reason you are trying to do this anyway?

    Andrew.

    Andrew Hodgson, May 13, 2006
  11. Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane Guest

    Just to keep one machine being used as a server completely seperate
    from the rest.

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, May 14, 2006
  12. I wouldn't bother, it can give you more problems - i.e, you then start
    using double NAT, etc.

    Andrew.

    Andrew Hodgson, May 14, 2006
  13. Geoff Lane

    Alex Fraser Guest

    I probably wouldn't bother either, but you don't need "double NAT" (and what
    Geoff Lane is/was trying to do would not use it). In any case, the proper
    way to do it is with VLANs.

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, May 15, 2006
  14. Geoff Lane

    BigBrian Guest

    bridge the two networks with an old pc with two nics

    Brian

    BigBrian, May 16, 2006
  15. Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane Guest

    yes, that's an option I may try evenually.

    Not urgent though.

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, May 18, 2006
  16. Geoff Lane

    Dave J. Guest

    One solution, on a network I sometimes play on (and actually helped set
    up) uses a Soothwall box, which suprisingly enough works a USB speedtouch
    modem almost by default, as it's incoming gateway.

    This Smoothwall box merrily provides two private network feeds via two
    seperate NICs. One is called the 'green' network and one the 'orange'
    network. Slightly different privileges/abilities, totally different
    subnets, with the Green network having more capability than the Orange.

    The network above has a P2P machine and web server on the 'Orange' subnet,
    and has the 'Green' network as a /30 feeding the WAN interface of another
    router. This router then does a second NAT, and although I've heard that
    double NATing often leads to trouble, everything seems to work quite
    sweetly with all the household computers residing on this inner network.

    The upshot is that in that system there are actually *three* seperate
    private IP subnetworks, all having access to the internet via a single
    public IP.

    The simplest solution I can see for you would be a sort of DMZ setup, with
    just two routers, the first providing a private /29 that could feed both
    your server machine and also the second WAN input.

    Perhaps setup your server machine as a DMZ machine on the first router or
    perhaps just with incoming routes to it on the relevant ports. Setup the
    second router with what would normally be the public IP for its WAN
    interface set to an IP on the /29 and I think it would 'just work'.

    I don't use DHCP when setting such things up for people, it seems overkill
    on little home LANs. Gawd (reads back a bit) what a blather, hope it's of
    interest to someone.. The last two paragraphs are probably the relevant
    bit for the OP, if he's still about :)

    Dave J.

    Dave J., May 24, 2006
  17. I would always advise the use of DHCP if available for home networks -
    especially ones in someone else's home where you've been called in to
    configure everything.

    It stops the frequent 'phone calls of "My mate's brought his
    laptop/console/PSP/palmtop/network-attached-parrot around and it's not
    working. You said you'd set everything up! Why isn't it working?
    'eye-pee-con-fig'? Talk English, man! I don't even *like* figs!
    'Sub-net'? Now isn't the time to go fishing! FIX IT!"

    Gareth Halfacree, May 24, 2006
  18. Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane Guest

    Still about and thanks for input, there is no urgency for me to have
    two seperate local networks so I was just musing but your suggestion
    is an interesting scenario.

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, May 24, 2006