    additional router, in case that subnet is required? of course, this my
    router 10.10.0.1 should remain as default gateway

    thnx

    sali, Jun 30, 2009

  2. sali

    Rob Guest

    In your first router, configure a route to 10.20.0.x via gateway 10.10.0.2.
    Make sure you have not turned off redirects.

    All your client systems will send the traffic for 10.20.0.x via their
    default gateway 10.10.0.1 (your first router), which will send it on via
    its route to 10.10.0.2. But it will also send an ICMP redirect packet
    to the client, which will then send the next packets directly to the
    gateway 10.10.0.2.

    This usually works quite well, but you have to beware that sometimes
    such redirect packets are turned off or filtered in a firewall. In that
    case all your traffic to 10.20.0.x will take an unnecessary hop via
    your first router.

    Of course you could also set a fixed route to 10.20.0.x via 10.10.0.2
    in all your client systems. But that may be a lot of work and when
    you change the network you may need to do it all over again.

    Rob, Jun 30, 2009