two routers on one Lan?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by mdb, Sep 21, 2007.

  1. mdb

    mdb Guest

    I do the network support in a school where there are about 40 computers all
    getting their IP's via wired connections back to some stacked switches and a
    Belkin router. They're in an old building constructed of heavy concrete with
    true plaster walls (meaning wire mesh under plaster). The librarian has
    asked about the feasibility of installing a wireless network in the library.
    Her library is downstairs and at the opposite end of the school from the
    current modem/router/switch location. My point here is that a wireless
    signal will not reach from the current location to the library. I've always
    said that a network can have only one DHCP server but I wondered if I might
    be wrong. Could I connect a wireless router to the current wired network
    drop in the library but have it pass out IP addresses in a different private
    ip address range than the IPs given out by the primary router upstairs? I
    suppose another way to do this would be to relocate the modem/router down to
    the library and have all computers acquire an address from the router there.
    But that recabling would be pretty expensive.

    The purpose of the wireless connection in the library is just to allow the
    librarian to move about the room with her laptop, freeing her from staying
    at her desk when she's giving lessons. This is an elementary school. Is
    there a way to make the wired connection that her desktop has available to
    her laptop? perhaps via Internet Connection Sharing?

    Does anyway see a good way to do this? I also considered access points
    between the current router and the library but we'd need so many because of
    the construction and the distance involved.

    Thanks.

    mdb, Sep 21, 2007

  2. You could plug an access point into one of the ethernet connections in
    the library.
    Indeed. You are not wrong in that assumption.
    You could do that as well. The wireless router (with its DHCP server)
    would ensure, that there is still only one DHCP server on that network.
    Because the router will act as a gateway between the two networks.
    Here again, you could use an access point. An AP works like a switch/hub
    giving wired access to the wireless clients.
    No need to use ICS. Just use an access point or wireless router.
    Are you here thinking of extending the wireless network? There is no
    need to do that, when there is a wired "drop" in the library already.
    Just use an AP/wireless router connected to the wire cable.

    Axel Hammerschmidt, Sep 21, 2007

  3. Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 21, 2007
  4. mdb

    Kurt Guest

    I've always
    Indeed, a second DHCP server is a Mocrosoft recommendation in case one
    fails. The rule is they can't be giving out IP addresses in the same
    scope (but they can give out address on the same subnet).

    Could I connect a wireless router to the current wired network
    Or even in the same address space as long as the addresses are excluded
    from the other DHCP server.

    As far as Internet goes, yes. But not for two-way connectivity to the
    main network. ICS is functionally a NAT router. But if you wanted the
    library to be on its own network, you could use a real router and a
    wireless access point. The real router in the library would have a
    default gateway of the main network's router, and the main network's
    router would have a static route to the Library's subnet via the
    Library's router.
    Think of a wireless access point as a wireless switch. You can have
    multiple wireless (or wired) connections to it as long as each
    connection has it's own IP address. You wouldn't need a second DHCP
    server, since an access point functions as a bridge (switch).

    From Main Network

    Small Switch
    | \
    | \