Two odd problems since new system built

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Atreju, Jan 1, 2007.

  1. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    Hello,

    I built a new system and I am encountering two problems, which could
    be related.

    The first thing I noticed is that whenever I come back to my computer,
    the screen is on displaying my desktop. The screen saver never kicks
    in, nor does the monitor power saving mode. It DOES work when I use
    the "preview" button in the display properties.

    Second thing: I play an online game which runs in full screen mode.
    Every so often, but not always, the game will suddenly minimize and
    I'm looking at my desktop. I just click back on the game in the
    taskbar and everything is ok. Whenever this happens, it will usually
    happen several times in a row. I have not found any pattern as to when
    it will or will not happen. It stops after a short while.

    Initially I had been having some trouble with Firefox so I tried
    shutting it down every time. I don't think the minimize thing has
    happened when it was off, but that could be a coincidence. In any
    case, the screen saver still won't kick in even with FF off.

    My suspicion is something is refreshing itself over the desktop... I
    don't know what could be doing this but if anyone has any idea or has
    seen this problem, any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Here are my relevant hardware specs:

    Pentium Core 2 Duo
    2 GB RAM DDR2 800MHz
    Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS w/ 512MB
    WD SATA 250 GB Hard drive
    The motherboard is Gigabyte, with the Intel P965 chipset.

    If you need any other info I've omitted, let me know.

    Thanks.

    Atreju, Jan 1, 2007

  2. Atreju

    Mike Easter Guest

    You are some kind of Win OS. Which one? 9x? XP?

    What are the display settings for screenserver? What are the settings
    for powersaving on the mobo config and the OS's powersaving function.

    Gigabyte makes about 5 different p965 mobos.

    Mike Easter, Jan 1, 2007

  3. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    Sorry, forgot to include that. Windows XP Pro, latest sp and updates.
    I will go into the CMOS now to check but ordinarily my screen saver is
    set to 5 minutes with the power-off at 20 minutes.
    As a test, I've set it to 1, 2 but it has not worked.
    GA-965P-S3

    Atreju, Jan 1, 2007
  4. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    In the CMOS everything looks normal; there is nothing specific about
    video, and it's only settings that pertain to power button and to wake
    from suspend options.

    Atreju, Jan 1, 2007
  5. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    Just FYI, due to an annoying bug where the video card driver always
    insisted on telling me that SLI has been disabled because I only have
    1 video card (a nuisance that many GeForce owners belive to be a
    not-so-subtle advertisement), I just updated to their most recent BETA
    driver which removes that stupid notice. Anyway, just wanted to let
    you know that the problem still persists, so updating my drivers
    didn't resolve it.

    Atreju, Jan 1, 2007
  6. The cmos settings are meaningless to winXP. You need energy settings in your
    control panel or the desktop properties - display settings.
    You may try safe mode to rule out autostarts, or use msconfig to temporarily
    disable (some of) them, while trying the screensaver with a low time
    setting.

    Walter Mautner, Jan 1, 2007
  7. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    Yes I know the CMOS settings don't matter, just mentioned it.

    I have looked at the autostarts in MSCONFIG and I don't see anything
    really problematic but then again if anything at all could be at
    fault, then it would require disabling one by one. I'm going to try
    safe mode.

    Atreju, Jan 1, 2007

  8. On the game part, the particular game you're accessing online might be factor
    which someone might be able to relate to...

    I'm not familiar with your particular GF 7600, but I had some similar bizarre
    display issues with a nVidia GeForce cira MX 440, or some such...

    Probably, you have the latest and correct drivers downloaded and installed.

    The solution to mine was in Display Properties > Settings tab > Advanced
    button > which brought up either a specific nVidia dialog, or a tab with one;
    and *then* that tab brought out another balloon-type dialog of settings.

    On Windows XP, I had to reset a couple of options to "let Windows decide" or
    "auto-detect" or similar. The nVidia defaults were either over-riding or
    conflicting with the Windows Display Properties > Screen Saver tab,
    particularly the Power Settings, for my PC. I know I banged around in there
    and finally got it copasetic after a couple of reboots, which weren't
    notified as required; merely precautionary on my part. I eventually went on
    to an ATI card.

    Best wishes to all for a safe, joyous and prosperous New Year.

    --

    To me clowns are not funny!
    In fact, they are kind of scary.

    For this reason, I do not think the French are cowards at all.

    Bucky Breeder, Jan 1, 2007
  9. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    I tried safe mode, and the screen saver kicked in.
    One weird thing, but maybe this is the nature of safe mode, i've never
    actually noticed this - I could not change the screen saver. I could
    select a different one from the list, but the same one that was
    originally set is the one that kicks in. If I select a different one,
    click ok to close the display properties, and then go back in, it has
    reverted to the original again. Perhaps the setting is locked for
    editing in safe mode.

    But the main point is that the screen saver worked.
    This does not surprise me... the hard part will be figuring out what
    is responsible for the problem.

    I'll also mention that aside from the hardware drivers, I have the
    same exact, if even less, running programs as I did on my old computer
    - eg: startup utilities, software "fast start" crap, etc. Actually
    there's less running now because I haven't gotten around to putting
    back everything, but there's nothing that's new except, as I said, the
    hardware drivers.

    Atreju, Jan 1, 2007
  10. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    Thank you for the suggestions, I am going to play around with the NV
    settings and I'll also look at their website for info.

    And here, I'm coming FROM an ATI card :)

    Atreju, Jan 1, 2007
  11. Atreju

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Could be a bad or corrupted profile. Try logging in as another user and try
    it.

    pcbutts1, Jan 1, 2007
  12. Atreju

    Leythos Guest

    PCBUTTS1 how are you going to address the Pornographic content on a site
    that you claim is to help people?

    Do you really want people to trust you with Pornography on your
    website:

    http://pcbutts1.com/downloads/pervert.htm
    http://pcbutts1.com/downloads/license.htm
    http://www.leythosthestalker.com

    Who is going to trust someone like you when you host FOUL content on
    your help site?

    Leythos, Jan 1, 2007
  13. Atreju

    Shep© Guest

    Sounds like you have a program running that is requesting an outgoing
    connection like say an automatic virus updater.
    Before launching any games I disable/exit background programs to help
    stop this kind of behaviour.

    HTH :)

    Shep©, Jan 1, 2007
  14. Atreju

    Smoker Guest

    Rename the file that it defaults to and see what happens. Put a semicolon in
    front of the name.

    Smoker, Jan 2, 2007
  15. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    SNIP

    Well this is absolutely nuts - but... the problem has gone away. I
    have not done any more windows updates since before this problem
    started (I have it request to update, not automatically update).
    However, one thing I DO have always automatically updating is my
    Antivirus software... in the past they have occasionally goofed with
    one of their updates and caused some kind of benign problem, and
    they're quick to fix it. Perhaps that happened here. I will
    investigate further into that.

    Meanwhile, everything is back to ok.

    Thanks.

    Atreju, Jan 2, 2007