Two nearly identical machines - 1 connects fine, 1 doesn't - HELP :-)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by jcage, Jul 7, 2008.

  1. jcage

    jcage Guest

    I have two MS-home boxes with the same wireless card in each. One's
    older than the other and used to connect fine until about the time I
    put the new one on (not certain there's a connection there, maybe just
    other circumstances). The newest one quickly connects with everything
    set for 'obtain automatically'. The older machine (MS-home also),
    seems to take quite a while in 'acquiring IP' mode and that's where I
    believe the problem is. Is there a reason why if one is set for
    'obtain automatically' that the other wouldn't do the same with the
    same op sys, NIC, etc.

    I've tried different settings for our network and DNS for our ISP to
    preset the TCP/IP properties that sometimes work but the puzzle is
    always different - what worked one time won't work this time (I keep
    good records on what worked each time). Once the machine IS on, it
    works fine until there's a power outage, reboot, etc. It's a real
    drag considering the newer 'twin', comes right up onto the network
    just fine everytime (again, everything set to 'auto obtain' on the new
    but won't work on the older machine [though it used to]). On the
    troublesome machine, the little antenna in the system tray shows a
    strong signal to our router and the little 'monitor' image indicates
    it's connected but no Internet. Anyway, thanks for any ideas...

    John

    jcage, Jul 7, 2008

  2. Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Jul 7, 2008