    Uhhh - I've never noticed this except for when a device was configured
    with the wrong subnet mask. Any more details?

    Sam

    Sam Wilson, Jan 19, 2004

  2. John

    Hansang Bae Guest

    Only a host which believes that proxy ARP would be supported by

    This happens more often than people think with bigger boxes (Tandems,
    MF's, Older Unix boxes). Basically, you set your gateway to be
    yourself, and you'll happily arp for everyone in the world. No
    knowledge about routers supporting proxy arp is required. They just
    blindly arp for everyone.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jan 19, 2004

  3. John

    Sam Wilson Guest

    OK, I'd forgotten that trick. As I noted such machines will of course
    flounder when they don't have proxy ARP available.

    Sam

    Sam Wilson, Jan 20, 2004
  4. John

    AnyBody43 Guest

    Likewise and since I had never seen it in action ...

    I also tried no default gw but that did not work.

    Here it is:
    XP PC with default gw of itself.

    + Frame: Base frame properties
    ETHERNET: ETYPE = 0x0806 : Protocol = ARP: Address Resolution Protocol
    + ETHERNET: Destination address : FFFFFFFFFFFF
    + ETHERNET: Source address : 000D9D4915E4
    ETHERNET: Frame Length : 42 (0x002A)
    ETHERNET: Ethernet Type : 0x0806 (ARP: Address Resolution Protocol)
    ETHERNET: Ethernet Data: Number of data bytes remaining = 28 (0x001C)
    ARP_RARP: ARP: Request, Target IP: 23.23.23.23
    ARP_RARP: Hardware Type = Ethernet (10Mb)
    ARP_RARP: Protocol Type = 2048 (0x800)
    ARP_RARP: Hardware Address Length = 6 (0x6)
    ARP_RARP: Protocol Address Length = 4 (0x4)
    ARP_RARP: Opcode = Request
    ARP_RARP: Sender's Hardware Address = 000D9D4915E4
    ARP_RARP: Sender's Protocol Address = 172.20.1.37
    ARP_RARP: Target's Hardware Address = 000000000000
    ARP_RARP: Target's Protocol Address = 23.23.23.23

    In the context of this discussion key points are:

    No IP header - not IP
    ETHERNET: Ethernet Type : 0x0806 (ARP: Address Resolution Protocol)
    IP is type 0x0800
    It has not been mentioned (I hope) that routers will only
    issue proxy arp responses for addresses that they have a route
    to.

    To generate the above I put a router on my network and
    created a loopback interface with address 23.23.23.23.

    AnyBody43, Jan 20, 2004
  5. John

    Bernie Guest

    Possibly. My only point in all of this wasn't to comment on what is
    normal, or what is the best practice, but rather to clarify that it is
    possible on a multinet to have devices communicate even when the
    router isn't present. It was a tangent, but I thought that it was an
    interesting note to present.
    Well, I think I know how to spot a misconfigured subnet mask. Anyway,
    Hansang clarified how it can be done.

    --Bernie

    Bernie, Jan 21, 2004