    My other, is a lot slower, and is running Windows 98. That is using dialup.
    Is there any way I can link the two computers together so that they can both
    use the one internet broadband connection?

    Representative Trantis, Feb 29, 2004

  2. Representative Trantis

    Pepperoni Guest

    A router is the perfect solution.

    Pepperoni, Feb 29, 2004

  3. Is it easy to do?, and is it possible, given that the two are using
    different operating systems?

    Representative Trantis, Feb 29, 2004
  4. Representative Trantis

    Geek Guest

    it's very easy to do, and it does not matter if the operating systems are
    different.
    Your internet connection ( Cable or DSL) will connect to a router using
    Ethernet cable, that router could be wired or wireless:

    If your 2 computers are close to eachother and can be connected by wires
    then your best choice is a wired network using a router . make sure both
    computers have Ethernet cards though.

    If they are far and wiring is difficult then go with a wireless network
    which requires a wireless router that connects one computer using wired
    Ethernet and connects the second one using wireless . you will need to
    install a wireless PCI card on the wirelessly connected computer.
    all these products come with detailed instructions, you might also discuss
    your needs with the people at the computer store where you plan to buy your
    supplies.
    Good luck.

    Geek, Feb 29, 2004
  5. Representative Trantis

    Wizard Guest

    A router is the best option.

    Wizard, Feb 29, 2004
  6. How exactly does a router work?, what does it do?

    How does it share the connection?

    Representative Trantis, Feb 29, 2004
  7. Representative Trantis

    Duane Arnold Guest

    The link explains it all, along with other networking topics. You should be
    aware of the router's MAC cloning feature that you can use to clone the NIC
    MAC of the computer that's connected to the BB ISP. You will need to clone
    the NIC of the computer into the router so that the ISP thinks that it's
    communicating with the computer's NIC MAC.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Feb 29, 2004
  8. Representative Trantis

    Livewire Guest

    I rather think that since the OP needed to ask how a router works, he is
    probably going to be a bit bamboozled by this advice. Can you turn it
    into English for him?

    Livewire, Mar 1, 2004
  9. Representative Trantis

    Duane Arnold Guest

    If the OP wants to post some questions, I'll try to answer them. :)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 2, 2004
  10. Representative Trantis

    Professor Guest

    You need to get a router and you can run them both through the broadband. I
    am doing it with the same setup a newer one and an older one and it works
    fine.

    Professor, Mar 7, 2004