TweakUI / Automatic login problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jow, Sep 20, 2004.

  1. Jow

    Jow Guest

    Howdy,

    I work in a small town public library. We have the catalog
    machines, running Windows 98, automatically log themselves into the
    network via TweakUI 1.33 every morning. The problem I'm running into
    is that occasionally one of the computers will lose its mind and
    TweakUI will start failing to log that machine in periodically (but
    not consistently). What results is the PC is sitting at the login
    prompt when the first patron of the day walks up to use it. Patron
    doesn't know what to do and often hits cancel, dropping the PC to a
    network-less desktop where not only can the machine be compromised if
    someone malicious decides to get into it, but the actual catalog won't
    function unless the PC is properly logged in. The login accounts are
    questions:

    1. Has anyone ever had problems with TweakUI doing this? The "Clear
    Last User at Login" option is NOT checked and there's nothing I can
    see that would cause any of these machines to boot up to the login
    prompt and sit there without logging in... yet they do.

    2. Does anyone know of any decent alternatives to TweakUI for logging
    into Windows 98 automatically?

    Thanks much.

    Jow, Sep 20, 2004

  2. Jow

    colin Guest

    2. Does anyone know of any decent alternatives to TweakUI for logging
    You could allow windows to log in...
    Right-click `network neighbourhood`>properties>primary network logon>windows
    logon.

    colin, Sep 20, 2004

  3. Jow

    derek / nul Guest

    It is most unlikely that tweakui is the problem, rebuild the machine.

    derek / nul, Sep 20, 2004
  4. Jow

    Thor Guest

    Well, if you are having TweakUI log in automatically, then local security
    isn't too much of a concern to you, and it's a convenience issue entirely.
    In that case, simply do not use a password. First, change the password to a
    "blank" password, by going to the pasword manager in the control panel, and
    select "change windows password", then enter the old password on the
    appropriate line and just leave the new password line blank, and click OK,
    and it should confirm that the password has been changed. Next, set the
    logon type to "windows logon", by going into the network properties, and
    changing it from Microsoft Networking logon, to "windows logon". Then
    reboot. You may need to disable Tweak's auto logon feature. After all this,
    windows should log you in automatically on it's own, since there is no
    password set. If a prompt does appear, you may just need to click ok and the
    next boot it should not appear.

    Thor, Sep 20, 2004