    justics system. The attitude often displayed towards defendants is
    instructive, to say the least.

    Mike.

    Mike, Sep 14, 2006

  2. CJB

    Mike Guest

    As has been said, correctly, many times: possession and use for
    non-licensable purposes does NOT require a licence.

    Use of a VHS recorder solely to play tapes doesn't require a licence.
    Whether or not the VHS recorder contains a TV tuner is completely
    irrelevant.

    Mike.

    Mike, Sep 14, 2006

  3. CJB

    Mike_B Guest

    It is a good idea, particularly if Alex was last in court over 20 years
    ago. One only ever has a full grasp of the likely outcomes when one
    balances reading with experience of the systems.

    I often marvel at the workings of a magistrate's court who, while I
    agree with Alex should be testing Beyond Reasonable Doubt, rarely appear
    to do so. One often can come away with the feeling that decisions are
    down to personal prejudice, being jaded at having heard the same defence
    many many times and now simply see it as an excuse, coupled perhaps with
    what side of bed they got out of this morning.

    You should try it Alex, I think you'd be fascinated.

    Mike_B, Sep 14, 2006
  4. CJB

    Cynic Guest

    Total rubbish. A VHS recorder, like a TV set, requires a licence only
    if it is used to receive broadcast programs.

    Cynic, Sep 14, 2006
  5. CJB

    Alex Heney Guest

    That I can certainly believe.

    Alex Heney, Sep 14, 2006
  6. CJB

    Alex Heney Guest

    I suspect you are right.

    Perhaps I will try it next time I have a spare morning.

    Alex Heney, Sep 14, 2006
  7. CJB

    Eeyore Guest

    I was being flippant.

    I meant the fine ( aka lincence ) to operate a TV off one's home premises.

    Graham

    Eeyore, Sep 15, 2006
  8. CJB

    Eeyore Guest

    I'll bet any money that very few ppl realise what they're actually buying.

    Graham

    Eeyore, Sep 15, 2006
  9. CJB

    Alex Heney Guest

    Duh!

    Alex Heney, Sep 15, 2006
  10. CJB

    gonzo Guest

    i remember my student days in the late 90s. we had a joint tenancy. the tv
    licensing people came round and threatened us and insisted that we get a
    license for each person in the house or theyd take us to court although ALL
    our names were on the deeds as joint tenants.
    cheers
    james

    gonzo, Sep 15, 2006
  11. CJB

    Mike_B Guest

    I should also have said, take something to bite on, as I think you would
    find the temptation to tell them everything they are doing wrong to be
    overwhelming ;)

    Mike_B, Sep 15, 2006
  12. CJB

    e_svoboda Guest

    Someone:
    Somebody else:

    es;
    If we are in the realm of splitting hair/s - you do not "have to defend
    it".

    e_svoboda, Sep 16, 2006
  13. CJB

    Owen Rees Guest

    Well, "very few ppl realise what they're actually buying" is
    sufficiently vague that I expect you could come up with endless reasons
    why you had not lost the bet.

    I was in John Lewis today so I went to have a look at their computer
    department. There were several well known brands of notebook computer
    with built-in TV tuner on display. The label describing the features on
    the Toshiba ones had a number of headlines, one of which said "It's an
    LCD television". It seemed to me that the people there were reading the
    labels describing the features of the machines they might be thinking of
    buying.

    Owen Rees, Sep 16, 2006
  14. CJB

    Toto the Dog Guest

    Tell them they can stick the TV card up their arse.

    Toto the Dog, Sep 17, 2006
  15. Does that mean if four friends by a house together with their HSBC mortgage
    then they need 4 separate licences?

    Aaron Borbora, Sep 22, 2006
  16. CJB

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    It sounds like bollocks to me. A student employee of mine is about to
    get a TV licence for his shared house and TVL told him they only needed
    one licence.

    Jon, Sep 23, 2006
  17. CJB

    Bob Eager Guest

    As already stated, it depends on the terms of the rental. A shared
    mortgage would almost certainly require only one licence. A house where
    each student pays the landlord separately would require separate
    licences.

    Bob Eager, Sep 23, 2006
  18. CJB

    Conor Guest

    Wrong.

    A house where each student had a different flat number would.

    Conor, Sep 23, 2006
  19. CJB

    Alex Guest

    At 11:35:14 on 23/09/2006, Conor delighted uk.legal by announcing:
    Wrong. A house where each occupant* has their own tenancy agreement
    would, irrespective of whether they rent a flat or just a room. A
    house with a shared tenancy requires just one licence.

    * Being a student has nothing to do with it

    Alex, Sep 23, 2006
  20. CJB

    Mark Goodge Guest

    Numbering doesn't come into it directly. If the house is shared by all
    residents, and has a shared rental agreement, then one licence covers
    the entire building. If each resident individually rents a room, and
    has a TV in their own room, then - at least in theory - they need
    individual TV licences as well. It's the type of tenancy agreement
    that makes the difference, not the way the building is addressed.

    http://www.hotcourses.com/pls/mon/hc_edufin.page_pls_user_sch_info?item_id=4
    sums up the situation pretty accurately.

    Mark

    Mark Goodge, Sep 23, 2006