    "Why," said Ford squatting down beside him and shivering, "are you lying
    face down in the dust?"
    "It's a very effective way of being wretched," said Marvin.

    Dave Baker, Sep 13, 2006

  2. CJB

    Mike Guest

    I suspect "install" would include "soliciting the installation of" or
    using an "agent" to install, but AFAIAA nobody has ever been
    prosecuted for simply "installing" without a licence. Prosecutions
    are always for "using [for the purpose of receiving TV broadcasts]
    without a licence".

    Mike, Sep 13, 2006

  3. Even if installed, if you have a reasonable explanation, then there
    isn't a problem. eg

    TV set supplied and installed by a landlord of your rented flat - no
    licence, not used - no problem.

    TV set installed by flatmate who leaves it behind after moving out -
    licence surrendered, not used - no problem.

    If there is reasonable doubt as to who installed the set and/or whether
    it is in use - no problem.

    TVL inspectors recognise situations where there is genuine reasonable
    doubt, IME.

    Obviously if you admit to having bought the set and to having it
    installed - your only let out is show that there are reasons which would
    give reasonable doubt as to whether you were using it for other than
    receiving broadcast transmissions. eg, if you had a baby alarm connected
    to an (illegal) transmitter working in the UHF broadcast band. You could
    be (successfully) prosecuted for operating an illegal transmitter (but
    not by TVL) but such a system would provide arguably reasonable doubt as
    to the use and the need for a TV licence...

    Palindr☻me, Sep 13, 2006
  4. CJB

    Doz Guest

    The quick and simple answer... tell them the TV part doesn;t work and you have
    no antenna.

    Then go into the deive manager of window and "disable" the TV card.. uninstall
    the software.

    Problem solved.

    Bit like having a TV set with all the knobs removed and the power lead snipped
    off. No licence required.. otherwise our local council dump is in big trouble!

    Doz, Sep 13, 2006
  5. CJB

    Alex Guest

    At 10:04:09 on 13/09/2006, Dave Baker delighted uk.legal by announcing:
    You most certainly will, since you haven't committed any offence.
    It shouldn't say that because that's not the law.

    Alex, Sep 13, 2006
  6. CJB

    Alex Heney Guest

    It isn't sloppy, and you *would* get away with that one in court.
    It should, if they wanted it to have the effect that some people in
    this thread are still wrongly trying to claim it does have,.

    IF (and only if) you use it for the purpose of receiving TV programme
    services.

    Or you know or reasonably suspect that somebody else is using it for
    that purpose.

    Alex Heney, Sep 13, 2006
  7. CJB

    Alex Heney Guest

    I very much doubt John Lewis had any say in it, unless it is an "own
    brand" laptop, which I don't believe they do.

    They will sell whatever the manufacturer produces.

    And I suspect the manufacturer would not produce them unless there was
    a demand.

    Alex Heney, Sep 13, 2006
  8. CJB

    Alex Heney Guest

    I doubt if they are being fined, since they apparently gave the
    customer's address to TVL.

    Alex Heney, Sep 13, 2006
  9. CJB

    Cynic Guest

    If you choose to tell them anything at all (which you are not
    compelled to do), you merely have to tell them that you do not use the
    card (or anything else) to receive broadcast TV programs. Unless they
    can come up with any evidence that you *do* use it for that purpose, a
    prosecution would fail.
    Why should you want to do that? A very common reason for wanting to
    have a TV card is to convert VHS tapes to DVD's - an activity that
    does not require a TV licence. You won't be able to use the card for
    that purpose if you uninstall the software.

    Cynic, Sep 13, 2006
  10. CJB

    axel Guest

    The last time I bought a TV thingie (it was crap as I subsequently found
    out) to plug into my computer the salesman told me that he needed my
    name and address (I had just bought a hard drive so there was no
    nonsense in this request)... and he was quite happy with my Dutch
    address... although what the TV people would have made of it, I do not
    know... although I did have BBC1 & BBC2 over there on cable.

    Axel

    axel, Sep 13, 2006
  11. CJB

    axel Guest

    [ Totally off-topic ]

    Hell, I can watch 5 hours of non-stop Star Trek (excepting adverts) most
    days...

    Axel

    axel, Sep 13, 2006
  12. CJB

    axel Guest

    Excellent... someone else has read one of his books. Sanity might
    prevail.

    Axel

    axel, Sep 13, 2006
  13. CJB

    Bob Eager Guest

    I had dinner with him (more than once!)

    [sorry, couldn't resist the brag!]

    Bob Eager, Sep 13, 2006
  14. CJB

    Owen Rees Guest

    It's not just John Lewis. I was in Staples not long ago and they had an
    HP notebook PC with integrated TV tuner on display. I suspect it was the
    HP Pavilion dv5244eu which, according to the HP web site, has "TV Tuner
    DVB-T" included but I believe there are other models with a TV tuner
    too. I would expect other manufacurers to have competing offerings with
    similar features.

    If you don't want the "both TV and computer" option, there are plenty of
    other models to choose from. I don't see any reason to deny those who
    want to buy the combined device the option to do so.

    Owen Rees, Sep 13, 2006
  15. CJB

    ian henden Guest

    Because you *caused* the guy who delivered your tv set to install it???

    ian henden, Sep 13, 2006
  16. CJB

    ian henden Guest

    Good.

    I declare this thread dead.

    :eek:)

    ian henden, Sep 13, 2006
  17. No, but then it sounds like you do.

    Mark McIntyre, Sep 13, 2006
  18. Marvellous. As I said, you most abundantly obviously have no clue how
    actual courts work.
    No, it is required that they must show that on the balance of
    probabilities, you did it.

    Mark McIntyre, Sep 13, 2006
  19. In your case, for being clinically dense, it seems.

    Mark McIntyre, Sep 13, 2006
  20. When you have a clue, feel free to post again.

    Mark McIntyre, Sep 13, 2006