TVL Demands License for Laptop and WiFi

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by CJB, Sep 11, 2006.

  1. perhaps you should point that out to the TVL who specifically include
    PC Cards and computers in their scope.

    Mark McIntyre, Sep 13, 2006

  2. I suggest you go and sit through a few cases in a Magistrates
    court, as I have done (not as a defendant, fortunately), and
    you will see it is very much for the defendant to prove they
    are not guilty, regardless of what the law says. Oh, and any
    attempt to get technical in your defence thereby losing the
    magistrates pretty instantly becomes a guilty verdict.

    Andrew Gabriel, Sep 13, 2006

  3. Companies extending credit are legally allowed to obtain and verify
    your address. Companies validating credit cards are legally allowed to
    confirm address details of the purchaser (as normally happens with CNP
    transactions). Companies holding personal data are allowed to relevant
    information in order to fulfill legal requirements etc.

    Mark McIntyre, Sep 13, 2006
  4. It is true if a student has a separate bedroom with a TV in it. Each
    student is considered a separate "household" unless they're related by
    blood or marriage.

    Mark McIntyre, Sep 13, 2006
  5. CJB

    Sharky Guest

    Why?
    If you pay by cash, have obtained and paid for goods, why should the
    shop know where you live?

    Sharky, Sep 13, 2006
  6. CJB

    Bob Eager Guest

    Or they have a joint tenancy of the premises.

    Bob Eager, Sep 13, 2006
  7. CJB

    Alex Heney Guest

    Which would then be appealed, since they would be wrong in law.

    Alex Heney, Sep 13, 2006
  8. CJB

    Alex Heney Guest

    Only if their rooms are truly separate - i.e. each of them has their
    own lockable accommodation, and each pay their own rent.

    Even then, if the re is only a TV in the communal area, then only one
    licence is needed.

    Alex Heney, Sep 13, 2006
  9. CJB

    Alex Heney Guest

    I have since realised that TV tuner cards are covered, as they can
    receive the broadcasts by wireless telegraphy.

    But computers are not covered UNLESS they have such a card in them
    when purchased.

    Alex Heney, Sep 13, 2006
  10. CJB

    Alex Heney Guest

    Where is the fraud?

    And what illegal deception is happening?

    Alex Heney, Sep 13, 2006
  11. CJB

    Alex Heney Guest

    Not according to any law I know of.

    Alex Heney, Sep 13, 2006
  12. CJB

    Alex Heney Guest

    Not a lot, no.

    But that "theory" is a simple requirement of the law.

    Why do you think they only need to show that you have the ability to
    commit a crime?

    It is normal (and in fact is *required* by the HRA) that in criminal
    cases, they must show that you *did* commit a crime, not just that you
    could have done so.

    Is TV available in the daytime? :)

    The only "daytime TV" I have watched in the last n years is the
    occasional test match or wimbledon.

    Alex Heney, Sep 13, 2006
  13. CJB

    Alex Heney Guest

    Indeed.

    But that will require a new Statutory Instrument.

    But regarding the above provision, I realised that it is in the 2004
    regulations. If the equipment has the ability to receive TV programmes
    by wireless telegraphy, then it doesn't count as "computer apparatus",
    and it comes under the dealer notification requirements.

    The definitions in that act and regulation *really* mangle the English
    language - more so than most legislation.

    Alex Heney, Sep 13, 2006
  14. CJB

    Eeyore Guest

    I think John Lewis is to blame for selling such a stupid combination !

    Graham

    Eeyore, Sep 13, 2006
  15. CJB

    Eeyore Guest

    It strikes me as pretty preverse to consider a computer as a TV.

    Hopefully John Lewis will stop selling it together with the annual fine
    involved.

    Graham

    Eeyore, Sep 13, 2006
  16. CJB

    Alex Guest

    At 23:59:45 on 12/09/2006, Mark McIntyre delighted uk.legal by
    announcing:
    *an address* which reasonably believe is yours.
    Come before the magistrate for what?

    Alex, Sep 13, 2006
  17. CJB

    Alex Guest

    At 00:01:00 on 13/09/2006, Mark McIntyre delighted uk.legal by
    announcing:
    Which bit of "there's no legal obligation on the customer" do you not
    understand? There's no fraud or (illegal) deception to be charged with.

    Alex, Sep 13, 2006
  18. CJB

    Alex Guest

    At 00:01:33 on 13/09/2006, Mark McIntyre delighted uk.legal by
    announcing:
    Nonsense.

    Alex, Sep 13, 2006
  19. CJB

    Alex Guest

    At 23:54:02 on 12/09/2006, Mark McIntyre delighted uk.legal by
    announcing:
    You apparently have difficulty distinguishing between criminal and
    civil cases.

    Alex, Sep 13, 2006
  20. Take a morning off, and go sit on the public bench in your
    local magistrates court. You will find it doesn't work at
    all the way you think it should.

    Andrew Gabriel, Sep 13, 2006