    Might also be worth ensuring you've the most recent revision of the
    firmware -
    http://users.plus.net/QL:81BE27BC

    Plusnet Support Team, Oct 29, 2014

  2. chris

    chris Guest

    Ta. Will do if I go down that route.
    OK. Will check.

    chris, Oct 29, 2014

  3. chris

    Martin Brown Guest

    Any new CFL or dimmable LED bulbs in close proximity?

    Martin Brown, Oct 29, 2014
  4. chris

    Martin Brown Guest

    ITYM a few dinosaurs who claimed that they were spawn of satan but
    unless you are a radio ham working very distant stations you are
    unlikely to even detect their signal on a conventional radio scanner.

    Martin Brown, Oct 29, 2014
  5. chris

    chris Guest

    I gather the mbps values on these things are a bit pie-in-the-sky in
    terms of real world performance, but does 'gigabit' have any value? My
    router isn't gigabit, plus even with fibre (I'm on ADSL2+) you get
    ~100mbps at best so for streaming video to the TV it's surplus to
    requirements. Or am I missing something?
    Am already on the latest 8.2.7.8 firmware. One less thing to worry about :)

    chris, Oct 29, 2014
  6. chris

    chris Guest

    Sorry, I don't follow. Do you have 500Mbps or 1Gbps plugs?

    I get that the higher the rating of the homeplug the faster the speed
    (although not at the speed mentioned on the box), but with a non-gigabit
    router and for downloading data from broadband only the 'gigabit' ones
    are OTT, aren't they? I think your comment confirms that.

    chris, Oct 30, 2014
  7. You'd be right not to be mislead by the advertised speed. For actual
    data rates, I tend to pretty much half what's advertised (bit like wi-fi
    really). It also depends quite a lot on your environment, wiring
    quality, outside interference etc.

    Obviously you would need a gigabit router to take full advantage of
    gigabit powerline plugs, however even without one, at least you'd be
    future proofed.

    I stream media locally over Powerline so the speed of my Internet
    connection isn't the only thing to consider. The main reason I use
    Powerline is the consistency/reliability, wireless is such a hassle in
    this regard.

    I have a pair of 500Mbps adapters, both with 10/100 ethernet ports.
    According to the provided software utility, they're connected at 337Mbps.

    My line is capable of ~78Mbps. Direct to the router I get this. Via the
    Powerlines it maxes out ~73Mbps. I suspect that 5Mbps deficit is down to
    the 10/100 rather than the reported connection speed of the two plugs.
    Even with gigabit connectivity though, I suspect I'd still only get
    about half of that reported connection rate, ~165Mbps or thereabouts.

    One thing that may be of interest, concerns the fact that I used to have
    a pair 250Mbps adapters doing the job the 500Mbps ones are now (I
    actually still use one of the 250Mbps adapters to provide connectivity
    to my Raspberry Pi).

    When the two 250Mbps adapters were in place, throughput across them
    would often drop well below the ~73Mbps I achieve now with the 500Mbps
    adapters. Further evidence that you should approach advertised speeds
    with some apprehension.

    TL:DR - Using a pair of 250mbps Powerline adapters = ~50Mbps throughput.
    Using a pair of 500Mbps Powerline adapters, same setup, same locations =
    ~73Mbps

    YMMV of course.

    Plusnet Support Team, Oct 30, 2014
  8. chris

    chris Guest

    Thanks very much for the thorough reply, Bob. I'll give it a week or so
    of monitoring with the android Wifi app and will look further into a
    homeplug solution if there's no change. They're a lot cheaper than when
    I last looked, so not as mcuh £££ as I had thought.

    And yes pass-through has got to be the only way to do it. Wasting a
    lecky socket seems dumb - not sure why they aren't all like that.

    chris, Oct 30, 2014
  9. chris

    chris Guest

    Nope. Only bulb changed in a long while has been in the loft.

    chris, Oct 30, 2014
  10. chris

    chris Guest

    The TV has internal Wifi and I'm not sure what it reports as the signal
    strength (I'll check). However, using an android app in the same
    vicinity shows a signal strength of about -70dB.

    chris, Oct 30, 2014
  11. Valid point. Perhaps it is the Powerline connection that's the
    bottleneck then. Having said that, the reported connection speed tends
    to fluctuate by +/- 30mbps, yet actual achieved throughput is always
    static at ~73Mbps.

    It's never really bothered me that much TBH, given that the extra 5Mbps
    isn't going to make much of a perceived difference.

    Plusnet Support Team, Oct 31, 2014
  12. chris

    Joskin Guest

    It's late - I'm tired - can't be arsed to read the whole thread, sorry, but:

    Has this only happened since your central heating has been on?
    If so, check your thermostats.

    HTH

    "chris" wrote in message
    I've had a Samsung smart TV for about 6 months now and have been
    streaming iPlayer/4OD/Amazon Prime/etc since the start.

    Initially, the wifi connecting was very solid with only the odd film
    stopping due to a lost network connection. Now, it's every time and
    often more than once - very frustrating. I've no idea why it drops the
    connection as I can simply reselect my wifi and it reconnects with
    little fuss. Is this an interference issue or is my router on it's way
    out or am I going to need to get powerline adaptors?

    Suggestions gratefully received.

    Joskin, Oct 31, 2014
  13. chris

    chris Guest

    Interesting suggestion. Can't say whether it correlates with the CH
    being on or not.

    How would thermostats interfere and what do I check for?

    chris, Nov 1, 2014
  14. chris

    Phil W Lee Guest

    Thermostats can switch relatively large currents, through relays.
    These should be suppressed, so that they don't arc when opening or
    closing, but the capacitors are frequently the first thing to die,
    which means every time the thermostat opens or closes, you get a burst
    of EMF.
    You can test it by correlating the interference on the connection with
    the start/stop times of the heating and hot water.

    Phil W Lee, Nov 1, 2014
  15. chris

    chris Guest

    I have a combi boiler and thermostatic radiator values on all the
    radiators. Does that make a difference?

    chris, Nov 3, 2014
  16. chris

    Kraftee Guest

    If there is a problem it will be with your ignition system and not your
    (passive) rad.valves.

    The easy thing would be to turn on an AM radio and see if you get any strong
    'click' signals when your boiler ignites.

    Kraftee, Nov 3, 2014
  17. chris

    Davey Guest

    That does seem to be the case. I used a pair of Powerline adaptors for a
    while, then got a WiFi Extender working, which replaced them. And there
    are no radio hams around the close local area, so if there are problems
    with the WiFi, I have them in reserve.
    I think it worth pointing out that the controversy is there, though, in
    case somebody thinking of installing them does have a neighbour who
    happens to be a ham radio operator.

    Davey, Dec 31, 2014