    little fuss. Is this an interference issue or is my router on it's way
    out or am I going to need to get powerline adaptors?

    Suggestions gratefully received.

    chris, Oct 28, 2014

  2. chris

    Invalid Guest

    See if you can find out what channels are in use close to you.

    Use one of the apps for a smartphone, tablet or laptop that will show
    the local signals and the channels they are on. It may be that your
    neighbour has recently got a (new) wireless router which is now on the
    same channel as yours.

    If you have a clash, try swapping the channel the router uses and see if
    that helps.

    Regards

    Invalid, Oct 28, 2014

  3. chris

    Woody Guest

    Almost certainly an interference issue.

    If you have an Android smartphone download a free app call
    Wi-Fi Analyser. When you run it (wi-fi switched on of
    course) it will show you all of the wi-fi signals it can
    see. Most units default to channels 11, 1, 6 in that order
    with the odd 13 thrown in for good measure. It should give
    you an idea of an empty channel - 3, 8, and 9 very often.
    Then dig into your router and change the channel from auto
    to specified and behold all should be cured.

    Woody, Oct 28, 2014
  4. ...but be aware that channels overlap, but that is clear if you use
    Wi-Fi Analyser. See what the signal strengths look like and make an
    informed decision about changing.

    It could also be contention on your broadband connection.

    Peter

    Peter Andrews, Oct 28, 2014
  5. chris

    cl Guest

    The channels overlap though, that's why the defaults tend to be 1, 6
    and 13. All the channels in between overlap so will interfere almost
    as much as a signal on the same channel. I.e. if you choose channel 3
    or 4 you will get interference from both channel 1 and channel 6.

    'Interference' is probably a misnomer in reality, well behaved WiFi
    devices should detect each others' presence on the same channel and
    'time share' the channel. This will of course slow things down but
    connections shouldn't be dropped as a consequence.

    cl, Oct 28, 2014
  6. chris

    Graham J Guest

    Why? Use an Ethernet cable instead !!!

    Graham J, Oct 28, 2014
  7. chris

    chris Guest

    Very useful - thanks! There are two 'Wifi Analyzer' apps; I just chose
    the first one (by farproc).

    Lots of interesting info: all the neighbours have HomeHubs all bar one
    are on channel 1 (the one is on 6). I'm on channel 11 so no overlap,
    plus the signal strength at the TV is -70dB, the rest are below -90dB.
    In theory all should be good.

    I'll monitor it to see if there are other clashes when we're having
    problems.

    chris, Oct 28, 2014
  8. chris

    chris Guest

    I agree. I don't think it's a broadband issue. It is clear when I check
    the TV's network settings that it has lost the network, not that the
    network is simply slow.

    chris, Oct 28, 2014
  9. chris

    Jeremy Guest

    Following this thread with some interest. Different symptoms, different
    application but it's network-related with a Samsung smart TV bought this
    summer.

    TV has a wired connection. Netflix, iplayer all the internet apps stuff
    actually works really well. Where I have had problems is streaming music
    from a Synology Diskstation - it seemed that on a long track it would
    simply give up playing after circa 4 minutes. I know (believe) the
    network elements via which the Synology is connected are good (it's all
    brand new cabling in a recently renovated house).

    Just some info for consideration; probably not related in any way. But
    you know sometimes just sharing your problems makes you feel better :)

    Jeremy, Oct 28, 2014
  10. chris

    Graham J Guest

    Did you test the cat5 cabling with a suitable tester? You can get very
    strange faults if the cabling is not wired correctly.

    Get a router or network switch with port mirroring. Connect a spare
    computer running a network analysis program to the mirror port.

    Use the mirror port to monitor

    A) the port connected to the TV

    B) the port connected to the NAS

    You ought to be able to capture what happens as the streaming stops.
    For example, does the TV not request the next packet, or does the server
    not send it?

    If you get a managed network switch you could also see whether there are
    any errors on the relevant ports.

    You might also check for broadcast storms from other equipment on the
    LAN which overwhelm the switch.

    Graham J, Oct 28, 2014
  11. chris

    chris Guest

    Of course in an ideal world that is the solution. However, domestic
    accommodation doesn't come with ethernet ports, cables or switches as
    standard.

    Wifi is just so much simpler to set up.

    chris, Oct 28, 2014
  12. chris

    cl Guest

    No it isn't, you have just told us it isn't! :)

    WiFi has simpler 'hardware' requirements but if it doesn't work
    properly can be an absolute pain to 'set up'.

    cl, Oct 28, 2014
  13. chris

    chris Guest

    Not tried local streaming myself, but been able to play videos from a
    USB stick/drive with no issues.

    chris, Oct 29, 2014
  14. chris

    chris Guest

    Erm, no. The set-up is very easy: select SSID, enter passphrase and
    you're done.

    Versus: spend £££, crawl around dark recesses of the house, make holes
    in walls/floors/etc, redecorate, plus have extra cabling at the back of
    the TV.

    It's the reliability that can be flakey.
    My issue is that it has become significantly *more* flakey with time. If
    it had been flakey/unusable from the start I may have looked at a
    different LAN solution.

    chris, Oct 29, 2014
  15. chris

    Martin Brown Guest

    I saw something very like this with my new NAS device on streaming
    music. Out of the box it would play for 1-2 minutes and then stall.
    I don't understand why but disabling UPnP on the router fixed it.

    Martin Brown, Oct 29, 2014
  16. chris

    cl Guest

    Sorry 1, 6, 11 tend to be the defaults. (5 in between each)

    cl, Oct 29, 2014
  17. Have you considered Powerline adapters?

    Plusnet Support Team, Oct 29, 2014
  18. chris

    Davey Guest

    There has been much discussion this year about them, a lot of it
    uncomplimentary.

    Davey, Oct 29, 2014
  19. chris

    chris Guest

    OP here.

    No. Other clients aren't similarly affected, but then neither are they
    used for streaming data quite so much. For all other clients - tablets
    and smartphones - the wifi is robust with lost connections only
    occurring in the garden where the signal is very marginal.

    chris, Oct 29, 2014
  20. chris

    chris Guest

    It's an option I considered in my OP. I'd rather explore solving the
    interference - if that's what it is - first before throwing money at the
    problem.

    My router is a Plusnet supplied Thomson 585. It must be a couple of
    years old now. I don't suppose you have had feedback from other users
    regarding this kind of issue with this router?

    chris, Oct 29, 2014