TV screen jumps on DVD signal via chart

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Paul, Nov 14, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I have the following problem: just bought a DVD player (philips 728)
    and connected it to my standard 4:3 Philips TV (4 years old) via the
    scart connection. I see the image jump/shrink at irregular moments.
    When I switch on the DVD player the TV automatically switches to EXT1.
    Sometimes during a jump, the TV switches back to the channel where it
    was before the DVD player was on, most of the times it doesn't.
    I tried both SCART connections, both gave the same effect.
    When I connect the DVD player via the CVBS connection, the jumps are
    gone (but of coarse the image quality is worse). I also tried the DVD
    player on a very old no-brand >15 years old TV, it works fine, no
    jumps.

    When I put the video output of the DVD to 16:9, the image is stable.
    When I do so, I can switch my TV to 4:3 mode and the image is again
    large and remains stable. The only disadvantage is that I have to
    switch my TV to 4:3 all the time I use the DVD player.

    My question is: is the error in my TV or is it in the DVD player (in
    that case it only comes out when the TV is sensitive enough).

    thanks Paul

    Paul, Nov 14, 2003

  2. Paul

    JM Guest

    (Paul) wrote in

    To solve the screenmode spazzing, take pin 8 off the scart lead top the DVD
    player. To stop the TV switching back to broadcast channels, set the
    channel to EXTn manually.

    Our old SC2000 did a bit of both, the compacks4000 I had for 1.5 hours
    before returning sent the tv into epileptic fits with screen switching.
    The pacific1002 hasn't done either so far.

    some players do it, the solution is to pull pin 8 out. Maybe not what you
    want to hear if you spent daft money on an ixos gold plated oxygen free
    copper digitally enhanced scart lead, mind.

    cheers
    John

    JM, Nov 14, 2003