TV programs may be copy protected - by hardware requirement

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Alpha, Feb 23, 2005.

  1. Alpha

    Alpha Guest

  2. Alpha

    Mark Burns Guest

    Great article. Interesting as to where this is heading. I believe
    that the broadcasters have taken over, and are the real ones in charge.
    Politicians cannot afford to cross them, as they are dependent on
    television coverage for re-election.

    (Just because I am paranoid, doesn't mean that they aren't after us!)

    Copyright laws were never intended to create "intellectual property".
    This is a new term, indicating that the copyright holder has the right
    to hoard that to which they have title to. This is a new concept as
    well.

    Copyright was not the sole right to copy, but the right to market and
    distribute. People have been copying passages from books for
    centuries, for their purpose, or for quoting in support or rebuttals to
    arguments. The purpose of copyright is to encourage people to create,
    but for the benefit of the consumer and intellectual thought. When the
    product no longer has marketable value, then it becomes public domain.
    Thomas Jefferson never believed that patents or copyrights should last
    more than 19 years, what he had calculated to be the duration of a
    genration.

    Most are concerned about distribution of copyrighted material over the
    internet without the permission of the author. This should be
    troubling to us all. It is patently wrong, and could bring about a
    reduction of new material in the future.

    But there are so many reasons for a person to be able to archive his
    own material, get rid of troublesome menus, remove offensive scenes and
    language, &c that fall under the fair use doctrine.

    As a final thought, think of all of the great old films that have
    fallen into disrepair due to lack of attention from the "copyright
    holders". Very often, films are restored from private copies, that
    have been protected by others for decades. I do not trust that the DVD
    that I purchase today will be available ten or twenty years from now.

    Oh well, I am off to save my VHS copy of "ET" to DVD. The current
    release of the DVD has the shotguns that the cops were threating the
    kids with mambie pambie walkie talkies. I want to save a little bit of
    political incorrectness for the record.

    Wind me up Alpha, and off I go.....

    Mark Burns, Feb 23, 2005

  3. Alpha

    Alpha Guest

    LOL. Actually, the DVD has both versions.

    Alpha, Feb 23, 2005
  4. Alpha

    Dave Guest

    Dave, Feb 23, 2005
  5. It would be nice if you could justify this statement - I have a Sky+ box
    with a HDD record facility, and occasionally record programs on the Digi
    box, then later record them into the PC, and can easilly make DVD's from the
    recorded material. I've yet to see any protection.

    Are you talking Macrovision protection or something else?

    Alan Shepherd, Feb 23, 2005
  6. Alpha

    Dave Guest

    I am not certain - it looks like the typical macromedia protection with the
    rolling pictures and light and dark.

    This is on Telewest Cable on Front Row Movies that are pay per view.

    So it may not be the case with Sky+

    It could have been "dropped" from Telewest as I haven't tried to record from
    Front Row for a little while knowing what happened last time. All the free
    programmes appear OK though recently.

    DaveB
    UK

    Dave, Feb 23, 2005
  7. Alpha

    Larry Guest

    The original DVD release has BOTH the shotguns and the walkie-talkies..

    Larry, Feb 23, 2005
  8. Dunno about this, but never tried the Pay Per view films, the normal film
    channels work fine, and I was talking Sky+, not the normal sky box, also I
    connect the PC to the S-Video output on the box, using a Pinacle Movie Box.

    Alan Shepherd, Feb 23, 2005
  9. Alpha

    Mark Burns Guest

    Larry:

    Thanks.

    I actually own the DVD release since it came out, but have not even
    broken the plastic on it. I was unaware, but shall have a look. I was
    being tounge-in-cheek in the post.

    I remember when I read the Spielberg had done this that he was also the
    one who ranted about the colorizing of old films and testified to that
    before Congress.

    Not that I disagree, but digital touch up is digital touch up.

    Cheers,

    Mark

    Mark Burns, Feb 23, 2005
  10. Margrave of Brandenburg, Feb 24, 2005
  11. Alpha

    Ronald Cole Guest

    You won't be when the FCC orders that analog broadcasting cease!

    Ronald Cole, Feb 28, 2005
  12. I don't use broadcast signals. Haven't since I got cable in 1983.

    Margrave of Brandenburg, Mar 1, 2005
  13. Alpha

    Larry Guest

    While paying my cable bill yesterday, I asked about it and was told: "IF
    (note the word IF) it comes to pass that the analog signals are shut down,
    the cable company will be issuing decoders to all customers that dont
    currently need one (I believe the charge for that is around $2 a month but I
    didn't ask). They will be "down converting" the signal for analog TVs.

    Larry, Mar 1, 2005
  14. Which will spark popular protest so intense that the FCC will quickly
    cave in or be overruled by Congress, thus ending this silly
    French-inspired exercise in progress by decree.

    Neill Massello, Mar 1, 2005
  15. Alpha

    Mark Jones Guest

    Not likely. The bandwidth currently being used by analog TV
    is supposed to be allocated for other purposes.

    Mark Jones, Mar 1, 2005
  16. Alpha

    no one Guest

    Too late...it Was Congress's IDEA .. The Frequencies that Channel 2
    thru 66 Have been auctioned off to The CELL PHONE INDUSTRY

    Cell Phone companies Get Full use of those Freq's on JULY 1, 2006

    no one, Mar 1, 2005
  17. Alpha

    Mark Burns Guest

    Mark Burns, Mar 1, 2005
  18. Alpha

    Owamanga Guest

    Dammit, my little battery TV won't work after that, unless I get a
    battery operated HDTV/Terrestral-Digital decoder that can supply it an
    analog signal again.

    Owamanga, Mar 1, 2005
  19. Alpha

    RichA Guest

    Well, at least it was auctioned. The spectrum the broadcast networks
    use was basically given to them. I'd say they owed the public
    something back.
    -Rich

    RichA, Mar 1, 2005
  20. Alpha

    Mark Burns Guest

    Hasn't been auctioned yet, I don't believe.

    I am with Neill on this, I think that Congress will cave. I can't see
    half the country going out and buying a digital to analog converter at
    $300+ each.

    Don't know what the cable/satellite penetration is, but would guess
    less than 1/2. Most people that I know do not get cable or satellite.
    We are generally talking about $35 per month and up for basic service.
    I know very vew with HD television.

    Mark Burns, Mar 1, 2005