    Silly questions I suppose.

    Thank you.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Nov 16, 2012

  2. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    Digtal yes?
    Tv's like phones are becoming "smart", they connect to the Internet and you
    can connect them to other things on the network.

    Modern TV's have the tuner decoding in them, so its a case of plug in and
    turn on and watch all those ads. Not quite the same as the good old days.
    Not really that easy.
    Digital is better. It is the way the world is going/gone just like decimal
    money and metric system.

    You can get more channels is a given bandwidth and then you can sell of the
    rights to the old frequencies and make money. The mobile phone folks will be
    in like a robbers dog.

    Gordon, Nov 16, 2012

  3. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    You can get a set-top box which will work with your existing TV.
    Do you mean TVNZ's "On demand"? That doesn't cover other channels. If
    you don't mean TVNZ's On-Demand, what do you mean?
    It depends what you mean. If you don't have a TV aerial on your computer
    now, you won't need one for the digital changeover.
    Yes, but you would have to put a TV tuner card in your computer so that
    you could connect the VCR to your computer directly. But you probably
    wouldn't want to do that.

    If you have particular tapes that you want to view, (say a family
    wedding video or similar) there are people who will transfer VCR tape to
    DVD, but it will cost you.
    All programs are being made in digital formats overseas and if NZ were
    to keep the analog system, then they would have to convert all overseas
    stuff to analog to broadcast it (including stuff in news items). The
    equipment needed to broadcast analog (which is sourced overseas) would
    become scarce over time.
    No such thing, Geo!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 16, 2012

  4. You can get a USB Freeview receiver for say $30 but it has to be
    plugged into a decent antenna unless you are very close to the Freeview
    Transmitter.

    I have one works well only cost me $20 from Hong Kong but I don't really
    use it as I don't have antenna connection near my PC.

    The Same one is sold on Trademe for $36 from memory

    But from memory your computer is very very old so might not work to
    well.

    Just get a Panasonic DMR-XW390 DVD Freeview recorder and DVD Recorder,
    it has inputs for a VCR and you can the record the Video to DVD..

    Some one is very confused.

    Frank Williams, Nov 16, 2012
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    It's not all that old, about 12 years.
    I'll make a note of that, thanks.
    Thanks folks, now I'm more confused than ever. I'll have to leave it all to
    the computer man or the TV man.

    Yes, I get TV on demand for TVNZ. TV3 and 4 also seem to have programs on
    demand. I can't find anything about Prime on demand, it seems to be all
    stuff about Sky which we don't have.
    Hubby watches a lot of TV but doesn't want to get Sky. Too expensive he
    says, and you have to pay extra for the boxing etc.

    We grew up before TV, so aren't so dependent on it as folks today.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Nov 16, 2012
  6. Geopelia

    Richard Guest

    You really should do, boxes are frequently sold at the warehouse for $70
    on promo, not the greatest ones but the ones I have on the antique TV's
    in the shed and garage are working a treat.
    TV on demand is seperate from broadcast.
    Recorded tapes are analog. Any analog video capture device will let you
    get them into the computer. There is a very wide selection of USB
    devices sold for the purposes of transfering your old VHS's to the
    computer, or else for making youtube uploads easy from camcorders etc.
    Those will usually allow for a realtime display of the images so you can
    watch on the computer even tho that isnt their prime purpose.
    Because the old system was terribly inefficiant with its use of a very
    very scarse resource. The govt has a duty to provide maximum benifit to
    citizens from limited resources.

    Wasting 8MHz of spectrum to provide one low resolution artifact riddled
    analog transmission with only one audio channel available is a waste.
    IMO the govt is negligent by dragging the switchoff out for as long as
    possible.

    Hell, you cant even buy a television in the aspect ratio of the obsolete
    analog transmissions anymore.

    Richard, Nov 16, 2012
  7. Geopelia

    Richard Guest

    That makes it a complete fossil in that case.
    I expect that when auckland finally gets its analog switchoff there will
    be more information provided to people.

    IMO is insane they are marketing it as a digital switch over since many
    people seem to think they have to wait till the day to change instead of
    getting off analog now.
    Primes ondemand is only available in isky which is only available to sky
    subscribers. Choice tv seem to have quite a good ondemand site, still
    needs flash tho which does suck.

    Richard, Nov 16, 2012
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I'll see if the computer man has the stuff that can do it.

    Thank you.

    The was some scheme mentioned where eligible people could get the cost of
    changing over, or some of the cost.
    We would be eligible.

    But nothing more seems to have been said about it. Perhaps they are waiting
    until most people have already changed over.
    We are hanging on to see what happens, plenty of time before the Auckland
    changeover.

    Geopelia, Nov 16, 2012
  9. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Geo, I've had limited success with the USB (plugin) VCR capture devices,
    which is why I didn't mention them. If you have any important family
    tapes, then you could either get a set top box with VCR input and DVD
    recording as Roger suggested, or pay someone copy the tapes to DVD for
    you. I suggest that you do that soon as VCRs do not last for ever.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 16, 2012
  10. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Thank you. The tapes are all ones I have recorded from the TV.
    Not really worth the expense of getting them saved.

    They were handy though to record any good programs.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Nov 16, 2012
  11. Geopelia

    victor Guest

    You will still be able to use your VCR to play them through either the
    old TV or a new one after the switchover.
    But it won't record from its own tuner anymore

    victor, Nov 17, 2012

  12. Over 5 Years is OLD.

    Frank Williams, Nov 17, 2012
  13. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    It looks to me like you could benefit from "My Freeview" which will
    allow you to record TV programs to watch later. A My Freeview set top
    box might cost anything from $400 to $700. I believe that some of them
    will copy to DVD as well, but that would depend on the model.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 17, 2012
  14. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    Nor the same size, power consumption is close in some cases though.

    Gordon, Nov 17, 2012
  15. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    I remember when it was all black and white, there was only one TV
    station that shut down every evening and the major problem was adjusting
    the vertical and horizontal holds so that the picture could be viewed on
    the 9" screen. It still looked like the action was taking place in a
    snowstorm even if the picture was stable.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 17, 2012
  16. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    Geo, if you wish to convert the video tapes then, it is probably best to
    find a place which will do that for you. The computer man is like to no, too
    difficult. Still no harm in asking.

    Well, that is one way of looking at it.

    So, they should just do it right now. a) they lose votes, b) the advertisers
    go crazy as their meassge is not getting across and c) there is a risk that
    the population might become educated.

    I think that those two old men had in right, Good things take time. You can
    not just yank the whole country to your way of thinking and doing.

    Gordon, Nov 17, 2012
  17. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    Gosh Roger, got your marketing hat on? The question is does it work? Vintage
    cars still carry people from A to B.

    Gordon, Nov 17, 2012
  18. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    FFS, you will never make a project manager. Some parts of NZ have gone
    digital only. There were people on the ground before the area went digital,
    doing alot of door knocking asking people if they knew.

    Gordon, Nov 17, 2012
  19. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    (And the days of man's life are threescore and ten years. But I'm happily
    pottering along at 83.)

    The computer man will say when it is past it. He says it hasn't got enough
    places to plug new stuff in.

    I've still got XP. Perhaps when that is obsolete I can change the computer
    at the same time.

    Geopelia, Nov 17, 2012
  20. Geopelia

    Donchano Guest

    That's MY plan. And my computer is just five years old (with very high
    specs for the time) and I'm just 71.

    Donchano, Nov 17, 2012