    I'm thinking of an analogy with VCRs. When a VCR is turned off, the CATV
    signal just passes through it. Would the same thing be true of a wireless
    router?

    JD, Jan 16, 2010

  2. JD

    Lem Guest

    Not quite. You won't be able to access the Internet if you just turn
    the router's power off.

    But even if you have only one computer, you're better off with a router
    between you and the Internet. It provides a significant layer of
    protection. Your stepson probably connected the router directly to your
    cable or DSL modem and then connected your desktop PC to the router
    using an Ethernet cable. You should leave this as is. The router needs
    to be powered on whenever you intend to access the Internet.

    You can, if you like, turn off the "wireless" part of the router. This
    will ensure that there is absolutely no way for anyone to connect to
    your system from outside of your home. Configuring the router is
    usually easy to do. If you supply the make and model of the router,
    someone here can give you step by step instructions.

    Removing the router entirely (i.e., going back to your previous setup)
    may involve changing some settings on your computer, depending on how
    you access the Internet.

    Lem, Jan 16, 2010

  3. JD

    ~~Alan~~ Guest

    If you're out to save some bucks on electricity, the router must be left on.
    If you're worried about someone using your internet service via wireless,
    the wireless portion can be turned off.

    Note: The router is a good first step as a firewall using NAT (I'll let you
    look this up).

    ~alan

    ~~Alan~~, Jan 16, 2010
  4. JD

    JD Guest

    Thanks very much for your analysis. My understanding is that the wireless
    access is password protected, so I'm not concerned about anyone accessing my
    connection from outside my home. The fact that the router provides a
    "significant layer of protection" is (welcome) news to me. I was really only
    thinking of the electricity to run a device that was not in use, but if, as
    it appears, it is actually useful, I am satisfied to leave well enough
    alone. Again, I really appreciate the info you've given me.

    JD, Jan 16, 2010
  5. JD

    JD Guest

    I was, in fact, only thinking of "saving some bucks on electricity," so I
    appreciate the information from both you and Lem that it must be left on. I
    will "look up" the NAT (of which I've never heard). Thank you very much for
    your response.

    JD, Jan 16, 2010
  6. JD

    smlunatick Guest

    If he installed a router, then you r desktop PC "might" be accessing
    the Internet thorough it also. If when you turn the power off the
    router, check to see if the desktop can still access the Internet.
    Probably, it "might" not be able to access the Internet.

    Routers do not work "akin" to the CATV "splitter" that most VCRs
    have. Routers "behave" like a "traffic cop" which will control the
    direction of the network traffic flows.

    smlunatick, Feb 2, 2010