    appreciated!

    many thanks

    sam bixby!

    panda, Sep 27, 2004

  2. panda

    Ivan Ostreš Guest

    'no spantree' or 'no spanning-tree' in global config mode. You shouldn't
    do that unless you really do know what are you doing (which I think you
    don't since you don't even know how to disable one). Why do you want to
    disable it in the first place? Which problems do you have with it?

    Ivan Ostreš, Sep 27, 2004

  3. panda

    S. Gione Guest

    Panda, are you referring to spanning tree or SPAN (switch port analyzer)?

    If you are diagnosing a problem with a sniffer, SPAN will allow you to see
    traffic on multiple ports from one (or more) ports. Use "port monitor
    <interface>" on the monitoring port, "no" to turn it off.

    S. Gione, Sep 27, 2004
  4. panda

    Hansang Bae Guest

    spanning the port of analyzer use or did you mean spanning tree? You
    shouldn't turn the latter off unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.
    And even then, you shouldn't turn it off unless you have a locked
    closet.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Oct 5, 2004
  5. panda

    panda Guest

    After a bit more reasearch, it appears that I need to disable the
    spanning tree function. We are running a RM network (a popular network
    for schools here in the UK which is based on 2003). One of the
    features of this network is a Norton Ghost like ability to install
    over networks from the server. We are having problems with this part
    of the process. A couple of other people connected with using this
    network have said that removing spanning tree is a probable solution,
    but they dont know how to do it. any help would be most appreciated.

    thanks

    panda

    panda, Oct 6, 2004
  6. Hello, panda!
    You wrote on 6 Oct 2004 07:15:13 -0700:

    p> After a bit more reasearch, it appears that I need to disable the
    p> spanning tree function. We are running a RM network (a popular
    p> network for schools here in the UK which is based on 2003). One of
    p> the features of this network is a Norton Ghost like ability to
    p> install over networks from the server. We are having problems with
    p> this part of the process.

    CatOS -

    set spantree portfast <mod>/<port> enable

    IOS -

    spanning-tree portfast

    on all ports where clients and servers are connected to.

    With best regards,
    Andrey.

    Andrey Tarasov, Oct 6, 2004
  7. Panda,
    Most spanning-tree related traffic problems, especially PXE can be
    solved without disabling spanning-tree by implementing spanning-tree
    portfast on affected interfaces. Portfast reverses the order of
    spanning-tree and puts the switchport immediately in forwarding mode,
    this cuts down on startup and interface flap transition time which
    sometimes affects multicast and PXE applications.

    Below is a breakdown of the IOS commands

    switch#conf t
    switch(config)#int fa0/x (where x is the port number)
    switch(config-if)#spanning-tree portfast

    Also, see "Understanding Port Fast" and "Enabling Port Fast" at
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800d6a37.html

    *** ONLY enable portfast on interfaces connected to single end devices
    or on trunk links per the documentation. ***

    Good Luck
    -Robert

    Robert B. Phillips II, Oct 6, 2004
  8. panda