    Anyway, technology overtook the need for it, I bought the bullet, and
    a couple of EF and EFS lenses, as well as a Canon 300D since replaced
    with a 30d.

    Jerry, Apr 12, 2007

  2. aniramca

    J. Clarke Guest

    You have to be a young fellow.

    The main thing I feel getting a shot with a used and sterilized needle
    is pain--the doctor can't get them as sharp by hand as the factory does
    with their tightly controlled mass production process (not to mention
    that sharpening needles is an inefficient use of
    physician/nurse/paramedic time) so after they've been in use for a while
    they get dull and _hurt_ going in.

    And glass soda bottles have always been reused. Both steel and glass
    can be heated to temperatures at which no known organism, virus, prion,
    or other contagion can survive.

    J. Clarke, Apr 12, 2007

  3. aniramca

    Guest Guest

    Don't want to use the old camera.
    Want to use the old lenses !

    <rj>

    Guest, Apr 12, 2007
  4. aniramca

    J. Clarke Guest

    Most old lenses work fine with a Canon or Olympus.

    J. Clarke, Apr 12, 2007
  5. aniramca

    Jerry Guest

    I have a Canon EOS 30D camera and some FD lenses, they don't mix. The
    FD uses mechanical coupling with the camera and the EOS uses electrical
    contacts with motors in the lens.

    Jerry, Apr 12, 2007
  6. The funny thing is your Canon can use for example old Nikon lenses
    better than old Canon lenses. Actually, it will use some old Nikon
    lenses better than some new Nikon bodies (not including D200 or D2X);
    the 30D will have working auto exposure for them!

    Toni Nikkanen, Apr 12, 2007
  7. I'm not talking about glass bottles of course-I'm talking about these cheap
    plastic bottles that make almost half of the trash's volume here-since water
    from the town's pipes is too hard, everybody buys soda in pastic bottles...I
    don't think they use steel, either...Just that aluminium, pop-throw
    away...Only in some rural cafeneia (cafeterias) you can still have soda
    served in glass bottles....

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Apr 12, 2007
  8. aniramca

    Jerry Guest

    I have this 17mm lens
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/earlyfdlenses/1720mmfd.htm
    for my old Canon F-1 and FTb and it takes beautiful landscape photos.
    It would lose something with the 1.6 multiplier on the EOS 30D however.
    I had to break down and get the 10-22 EF-S lens, which works well but
    it weighs less than the old 17mm, so I doubt it is quite the same quality.

    Jerry, Apr 12, 2007
  9. aniramca

    J. Clarke Guest

    With apologies to Arlo Guthrie, "You can use any lens you want, (except
    for Canon), with Canon cam-e-ras."

    The FD lenses were full manual, the only "coupling" was to tell the
    meter what aperture had been set and to activate the iris during the
    shot. In common with all older manual lenses on DSLRs you have to use
    stop-down metering rather than full-aperture.

    The real limitation is that they were made for body thinner than that of
    any DSLR and so have to have auxiliary optics to be able to focus to
    infinity. There is an adapter in existence that does this for a number
    of FD lenses and there is another that has no optics that is intended
    for macro use. Both were made by Canon but I believe they are
    long-since discontinued.

    For more information on the use of older lenses with Canon cameras see
    http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-manual-lenses/.

    J. Clarke, Apr 13, 2007
  10. aniramca

    J. Clarke Guest

    Yep. Too young to remember when a physician would have a set of needles
    that he sterilized and reused.
    The plastic, unfortunately, is not recycleable into bottles, for reasons
    having nothing to do with sterilization.

    Aluminum cans, on the other hand, are melted down and remade into
    aluminum cans, and the melting has nothing to do with sterilization, the
    design of cans is such that refilling and resealing them is quite
    difficult.

    J. Clarke, Apr 13, 2007
  11. aniramca

    Jerry Guest

    I know, I've given up and am collecting new lenses for my EOS 30D.
    Interestingly the focus and zoom rings on my old FD lenses feel lots
    smoother and nicer than any of my EF lenses, including an EF 70-200 1.4
    L image stabilised, which is not exactly a cheap lens. Photos are
    great with the EOS and I can't see me shooting much if any film ever
    again, but the old gear was very good for it's day.

    According to the link you posted "Many, particularly those made in the
    late 70s and early 80s, offer excellent optical quality, have
    smoothly-operating metal barrels..."

    Jerry, Apr 13, 2007
  12. aniramca

    Guest Guest

    70-200 f/1.4 lens ??? i bet that was *really* expensive!!

    Guest, Apr 13, 2007
  13. aniramca

    Jerry Guest

    Jerry, Apr 13, 2007
  14. Toni Nikkanen, Apr 13, 2007
  15. aniramca

    Skip Guest

    No, they use it for auto dash boards, or something like that. And there's a
    local company that uses, or reuses, the bottles to market their plant
    fertilizer.

    Skip, Apr 13, 2007
  16. aniramca

    dj_nme Guest

    They're also recycled into "polar fleece".
    Jackets and jumpers are made out of old recycled PET bottles.

    dj_nme, Apr 13, 2007
  17. aniramca

    J. Clarke Guest

    And IIRC certain types of synthetic lumber.

    J. Clarke, Apr 13, 2007
  18. aniramca

    Jerry Guest

    I don't unfortunately, the photos I took with it have been lost. I
    could buy a roll of film and take some, I suppose I should sometime

    Jerry, Apr 14, 2007
  19. aniramca

    jtur Guest

    Hello, Pat:

    The Nikon SLR "digital backs" were supplied by Kodak, however.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    jtur, Apr 14, 2007
  20. Nope. It is now generally recognised as a ploy to fool venture capitalists
    into giving someone a load of money.
    They do: http://www.leica-camera.de/photography/r_system/digital-modul-r/
    (site in German).

    Jeroen Wenting, Apr 14, 2007