    it doing this. It came as part of ulead videostudio 9, from what I remember
    I did not get any option on whether to install it and there is no separate
    launch icon for the player. I am running win98se.

    outofdate, Jan 24, 2006

  2. outofdate

    ardz Guest

    You can double click on my computer,then right click your DVD drive and go
    to the autoplay options. It will have an option for DVD Movie where you can
    select the "take no action" option if you dont want it to start playing.

    ardz, Jan 25, 2006

  3. outofdate

    ardz Guest

    Whoops realised you are on 98....should be similar : - /

    ardz, Jan 25, 2006
  4. outofdate

    outofdate Guest

    unfortunately no.

    outofdate, Jan 25, 2006
  5. outofdate

    Dave Doe Guest

    Dave Doe, Jan 25, 2006
  6. outofdate

    GraB Guest

    Apart from the fact that Ulead DVD player is the worst DVD player I
    have tried. I think PowerDVD 4 is far superior.

    GraB, Jan 25, 2006
  7. outofdate

    outofdate Guest

    And powerdvd is what I use which is why the ulead player starting up all the
    time is even more annoying as I would never use the ulead dvdplayer.

    outofdate, Jan 25, 2006
  8. outofdate

    outofdate Guest

    Thanks but the problem is I don't want to turn off auto insert as windows
    explorer does not work properly with the drive then and I should not have to
    turn it off as powerdvd etc... don't try to autostart so there must be a way
    to turn ulead autostart off too?

    outofdate, Jan 25, 2006
  9. outofdate

    GraB Guest

    Have you tried reinstalling PowerDVD again to make it the default
    programme for playing DVDs?

    GraB, Jan 25, 2006
  10. outofdate

    outofdate Guest

    Thanks but no i have not tried that, but worth a go I guess, though I don't
    want any dvdplayer to load when I insert a dvd, at the moment powerdvd is
    setup not to do this, I think what you are saying is that if I reinstall
    ulead dvdplayer will be ignored and powerdvd will be acted upon and because
    that is set not to load on a dvd been inserted I will have no problem. The
    funny thing is that ulead dvdplayer has some options that sound like they
    should turn off the autostart on dvd insertion but for some reason they
    don't work, surely ulead would not be dumb enough to piss people off with a
    forced use of their program.

    outofdate, Jan 25, 2006
  11. outofdate

    GraB Guest

    OK, I can't talk with authority about XP because I don't have it, but
    I would guess you could go into File Types, whereever you find that in
    XP, and just delete the association for DVDs. In this case you would
    find that DVDs are associated with Ulead DVD Player.

    GraB, Jan 26, 2006
  12. outofdate

    outofdate Guest

    I don't have xp, I am using win98se.

    outofdate, Jan 26, 2006
  13. outofdate

    GraB Guest

    OK, I can't talk with authority about XP because I don't have it, but
    Same here. In regedit see what you have under
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AudioCD\shell

    I have PlayWithPowerDVD

    You might have PlayWithULeadDVD??

    I would delete that key, taking the usual precautions of backing up
    the registry first (Run / scanregw ).

    GraB, Jan 26, 2006
  14. outofdate

    GraB Guest

    Before you delete the registry key you could export it. Highlight it
    then go to Registry / Export Registry File. That way you could just
    double-click on it to put it back in if needed.

    GraB, Jan 26, 2006
  15. outofdate

    outofdate Guest

    Thanks a lot for the suggestion, that did sound very hopeful but
    unfortunately I have the same thing as you without any mention of
    uleaddvdplayer at all.

    outofdate, Jan 26, 2006
  16. outofdate

    outofdate Guest

    Just checked under dvd in the same part of the registry and uleaddvdplayer
    is listed there so i maybe able to do something with that, will let you
    know.

    outofdate, Jan 26, 2006
  17. outofdate

    outofdate Guest

    Under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AudioCD\shell I deleted the uleaddvdplayer key and
    now powerdvd starts up instead of ulead when I insert a dvd despite powerdvd
    having the option to automatically play dvd's disabled so it appears there
    is something else which is causing a dvdplayer to automatically play
    regardless of any other settings. Some registry setting is telling the
    computer to use whatever dvdplayer is available to play on insertion, I
    suppose i could try deleting all keys under dvd since deleting ulead stopped
    it using that maybe if it had no keys to refer to it would play nothing
    although I could imagine that it then would default to the
    windowsmediplayer. I am very curious as to whether something has gone wrong
    in the installations or whether this problem is by design if you know what i
    mean, is it a problem that should exist or has something gone wrong in my
    particular case?

    outofdate, Jan 26, 2006
  18. outofdate

    outofdate Guest

    Deleting the shell key under dvd has fixed my problem, hopefully it does not
    cause any new problems. So thanks a lot for your help, there were not many
    people willing or able to help on this so I am very thankful that you made
    such an effort. Now there exists a solution for people to find when doing a
    newsgroup archive search, i certainly could not find any such thing prior to
    now.

    outofdate, Jan 26, 2006