    of the LAN so I'm wondering if I can turn the Netgear router into a switch,
    ie. some kind of passive, non-routing mode.

    Garry

    zaphod, Feb 1, 2005

  2. zaphod

    Joe Guest

    Just turn off dhcp server in netgear.

    1: make netgear only router connected. log into it and change the port
    of the router to 192.168.1.2

    2: disable dhcp server in netgear.

    3: disconnect netgear and hook up new router.

    4: connect netgear from one lan port to new router lan port. doesn't matter.

    5: then everything should be fine.

    If 4 does not work then connect from netgear wan port to new router lan
    port and hopefully things should work. i never done it, but have read
    how it's supposed to work doing this with routers.

    Joe, Feb 1, 2005

  3. zaphod

    zaphod Guest

    Joe

    So I can't connect the Netgear to the new router via the Netgear WAN port? I
    have to use one of the LAN ports?

    Garry

    zaphod, Feb 1, 2005
  4. zaphod

    zaphod Guest

    Joe

    Sorry for last message. Didn't fully read the last bit of your message.

    Garry

    zaphod, Feb 1, 2005
  5. zaphod

    Lee Babcock Guest

    Joe..... I've just finished setting up three different makes of routers
    as switches as you have suggested and they work fine. A word of caution
    on Linksys though; Sometimes they won't work if they are powered down.
    Solution is to power down all routers, power up main router, then
    power up the ones set as switches.
    Regards
    Lee

    Lee Babcock, Feb 1, 2005
  6. zaphod

    Joe Guest

    Oh good then it works, whew. I was not sure because I have never done
    that, I have only read about it. I want to try it also because it would
    be nice just to test it and see what happens with my routers. To see if
    router 2 as switch would be able to use the built in parental control
    web filter since router 1 the main router maybe does not have that. I
    was thinking of buying a dual wan l;oad balancing router which would not
    have a parental control and my current router does, so I was going to
    connect my current router as the switch and use it for filtering web
    sites. However I did not get a duall wan router so I can't test it.

    Joe, Feb 1, 2005