    How can I change the TTL value?

    Thanks,.

    Gordon

    Gordon J. Rattray, Jun 19, 2004

  2. The TTL returned by a remote host is not controlled(or influenced) by your
    DNS. The final TTL you see in your ping is REAL TTL set for that record
    minus the number of hops the packets had to cross to get back to you.

    Win2000/2003 (and maybe XP) ALWAYS return 128 when pinged on the LAN.

    Now, why are you worrying about this?

    --
    Sincerely,

    Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    www.readymaids.com - COMPLETE SPAM Protection
    www.akomolafe.com
    Yesterday? -anon

    Deji Akomolafe, Jun 19, 2004

  3. In
    The TTLs on the returns are based on the machine it was coming from. Each
    hop (router) it hits will decrement it by 1. If it reaches 0, the packet
    expires. If there wasn't a TTL on the record, the packet would never expire
    and exist forever and clutter up everything.

    Here, read up on it:
    Tracert and Ping Tutorial - understanding traceroute and ping results and
    TTL values
    http://www.visualware.com/whitepapers/tutorials/tracert.html

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
    This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
    rights.

    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
    pig. --
    =================================

    Ace Fekay [MVP], Jun 19, 2004
  4. Hello,

    You cannot control a remote TTL

    Kristofer Gafvert, Jun 19, 2004
  5. That TTL is not the same as DNS TTL. That is the ICMP packet ttl.

    William Stacey [MVP], Jun 19, 2004
  6. In
    Good point William. That TTL doesn't have anything to do with the A record.

    Ace Fekay [MVP], Jun 19, 2004
  7. Gordon J. Rattray

    Roger Abell Guest

    Concisely the right reply.
    The OP should examine their DNS service
    behavior using such as dig or nslookup.

    Roger Abell, Jun 20, 2004
  8. Gordon J. Rattray

    Thomas Lee Guest

    I get 110, and 111 respectively.
    I think you are confusing TTL on the ICMP packet, and TTL on DNS record.
    The former is how many hops a packet can take before being discardable,
    the latter is how long a DNS record should be cached.
    The TTL values you note probably started off at 128, and were
    decremented as they passed through the Internet. You could tracert for
    it.

    The first site I googled for
    http://www.talkbroadband.com/tweaks/defaultttl2kxp.php has the answer as
    to how to change Default IP TTL.