Tsunami: Here we go again..

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Will, Mar 28, 2005.

  1. Will

    Will Guest

    http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/wmsg

    TSUNAMI BULLETIN NUMBER 001
    PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER/NOAA/NWS
    ISSUED AT 1629Z 28 MAR 2005

    THIS BULLETIN IS FOR ALL AREAS OF THE PACIFIC BASIN EXCEPT
    ALASKA - BRITISH COLUMBIA - WASHINGTON - OREGON - CALIFORNIA.

    .... TSUNAMI INFORMATION BULLETIN ...

    THIS MESSAGE IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. THERE IS NO TSUNAMI WARNING
    OR WATCH IN EFFECT.

    AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS

    ORIGIN TIME - 1610Z 28 MAR 2005
    COORDINATES - 2.3 NORTH 97.1 EAST
    LOCATION - NORTHERN SUMATERA INDONESIA
    MAGNITUDE - 8.5

    EVALUATION

    THIS EARTHQUAKE IS LOCATED OUTSIDE THE PACIFIC. NO TSUNAMI THREAT
    EXISTS TO COASTLINES IN THE PACIFIC.

    WARNING... THIS EARTHQUAKE HAS THE POTENTIAL TO GENERATE A WIDELY
    DESTRUCTIVE TSUNAMI IN THE OCEAN OR SEAS NEAR THE EARTHQUAKE.
    AUTHORITIES IN THOSE REGIONS SHOULD BE AWARE OF THIS POSSIBILITY
    AND TAKE IMMEDIATE ACTION. THIS ACTION SHOULD INCLUDE EVACUATION
    OF COASTS WITHIN A THOUSAND KILOMETERS OF THE EPICENTER AND CLOSE
    MONITORING TO DETERMINE THE NEED FOR EVACUATION FURTHER AWAY.

    THIS CENTER DOES NOT HAVE SEA LEVEL GAUGES OUTSIDE THE PACIFIC
    SO WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DETECT OR MEASURE A TSUNAMI IF ONE WAS
    GENERATED. AUTHORITIES CAN ASSUME THE DANGER HAS PASSED IF NO
    TSUNAMI WAVES ARE OBSERVED IN THE REGION NEAR THE EPICENTER
    WITHIN THREE HOURS OF THE EARTHQUAKE.

    THIS WILL BE THE ONLY BULLETIN ISSUED FOR THIS EVENT UNLESS
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION BECOMES AVAILABLE.

    THE WEST COAST/ALASKA TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER WILL ISSUE BULLETINS
    FOR ALASKA - BRITISH COLUMBIA - WASHINGTON - OREGON - CALIFORNIA.

    Will, Mar 28, 2005

  2. Will

    Darrell Guest

    Try http://www.iris.edu/seismon

    To see how many Earthquakes there are every day... Today shows;

    DATE LAT LON MAG REGION
    28-MAR-2005 19:02:19 1.01 97.82 5.8 NORTHERN SUMATERA,
    28-MAR-2005 18:48:52 2.73 95.96 5.5 NORTHERN SUMATERA
    28-MAR-2005 18:30:43 0.90 97.80 6.7 NORTHERN SUMATERA,
    28-MAR-2005 16:38:43 1.37 97.36 6.0 NORTHERN SUMATERA,
    28-MAR-2005 16:09:36 2.08 97.01 8.7 NORTHERN SUMATERA,

    Darrell, Mar 28, 2005

  3. Will

    C J Campbell Guest

    Fortunately the only tsunami was 10 inches in Australia.

    C J Campbell, Mar 29, 2005
  4. Will

    C J Campbell Guest

    Not that this makes the families of the hundreds of people killed in the
    earthquake feel any better. :-(

    C J Campbell, Mar 29, 2005
  5. I've heard reports today that there was indeed a 3 meter wave on the
    Indonesian shore nearest the epicenter.

    Golly, those folks could sure use a century or two of better fortunes...

    Bob Harrington, Mar 30, 2005
  6. Will

    JPS Guest

    In message <>,
    Your chart is all screwed up here.

    Usenet is a medium in which proportional fonts and TAB characters make
    *NO* sense, whatsoever. Fixed width fonts are the only fonts that a
    person who understands usenet will read and edit posts with, and TABs
    should be avoided, as well.

    JPS, Apr 1, 2005
  7. Will

    Confused Guest

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 23:17:49 GMT
    In message <>
    Everything except the header (which is pushed to the right) is perfect
    here. I'm still using Forte Agent 1.9nnnnnnn. I wonder of there's
    something odd in the new version.

    Jeff

    Confused, Apr 1, 2005
  8. Will

    JPS Guest

    In message <>,
    I don't know, but all this could be avoided with fixed-width fonts and
    avoiding TABs. That's the only way to guarantee any similarity between
    a chart when edited and when viewed.

    JPS, Apr 1, 2005