    to avert a tragedy had there been a real bomb in the guy's bag.

    BTW there are a lot of people who failed to take action when a bipolar
    person goes round the bend, and they are dead.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 14, 2005

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Another reason I favor arming ALL cockpit crews!

    Ron Hunter, Dec 14, 2005

  3. I would imagine that almost any commercial jet could do a barrel roll
    with relative ease. I'd also bet that a good pilot could do it with
    a glass full of water sitting on any flat surface in the cockpit and
    not spill a drop. It's probably a lot less stress on the plane than
    a maximum allowed climb rate would be.

    Floyd Davidson, Dec 14, 2005

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I don't think that is feasible.
    I am concerned that many people seem to think a person who is bipolar
    and off his medication isn't dangerous. I know better! And it doesn't
    matter if a person who blows you up is insane, sick, or just plain mean,
    you are equally dead. If a person is a threat to the lives of others,
    then the police are SUPPOSED to prevent them from causing harm.

    If a person claims to be carrying a bomb, acts in an irresponsible, and
    'out of control' manner, and reaches into the bag, wouldn't you fear for
    your life?

    Ron Hunter, Dec 14, 2005
  5. That is of course okay... God is on our side.
    I suppose God is on their side too???

    Floyd Davidson, Dec 14, 2005

    Charles Self Guest

    Possibly. But you have to ask Pat Robertson about that. God speaks to him.
    He says.

    Personally, I don't consider people who hear disembodied voices giving them
    orders or advice all that trustworthy.

    Charles Self, Dec 14, 2005
  7. Don't airline pilots fit that definition?

    :)

    David Littlewood, Dec 14, 2005
  8. They *are* trained to handle that situation, and obviously have
    usually been doing so without executing people. This one blew
    it.
    And sometimes officers have been force to shoot and kill such
    people. But *none* of that has *any* bearing on whether this
    particular individual presented any real threat to anyone. I've
    seen *nothing* that suggests he was actually a threat requiring
    deadly force.

    Floyd Davidson, Dec 14, 2005

    Charles Self Guest

    But, like me, you weren't there. I think I'd rather do my critique on
    evidence, rather than newspaper and TV and similar reports that jump from
    one side to the other, depending on the reporter's orientation, and each
    report based on a single witness's report, a different witness each time.

    In other words, let's wait and see what might actually have happened,
    without going apeshit about alternatives that might, or might not, have been
    possible on the scene.

    Charles Self, Dec 14, 2005

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    Like 67.3% of statistics, this assertion is just pulled out of nowhere.

    Real studies of terrorism show that such activity goes up and down with
    foreign occupation, not with religiosity.

    http://www.amconmag.com/2005_07_18/article.html

    Note that he studied terrorism in Ireland as well as the middle east, so
    the princple applies to more than just so-called Islamic terrorism.

    Bruce Lewis, Dec 14, 2005
  11. For narrow versions of the term "terrorism", what you say is correct.

    But that isn't what I was referring to.

    Floyd Davidson, Dec 14, 2005

    Ron Hunter Guest

    And just how do they CAUSE this? People will always find reasons to do
    the things they want to do.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 14, 2005

    Ron Hunter Guest

    And I have seen no reason to believe the Marshall did not fear that his
    life (and many others) was in danger. A basic understanding of law
    tells you that this is the criteria for 'self-defense'.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 14, 2005

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Yes, but a roll like that would be quite useless for the stated purpose,
    now wouldn't it?

    Ron Hunter, Dec 14, 2005

    Ron Hunter Guest

    God speaks to all of us. Many just choose not to listen, or having
    listened, to make their own choices, good, bad, or indifferent. It's
    called 'free will'.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 14, 2005

    Jer Guest

    Islamic extremists don't believe free will of the individual follower
    exists. If one of their own intimates otherwise, they're targetted for
    a corrective action, including termination with extreme prejudice.
    Non-conformity is a death sentence from one's own brother.

    Jer, Dec 14, 2005

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Some Christian groups also believe in predestination. I am sure some
    Muslims do as well, but this is not to say that all, or even most, don't
    believe in the individual's choice between following God's will, and
    rejecting it.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 15, 2005
  18. Absolutely, but even though that wasn't the point, it does
    suggest that a proper barrel roll might sound to the average
    person like something which would tumble every thing and person
    not tied down, but in fact it would not. Now, if they try doing
    a hammerhead stall, that probably would... ;-)

    Airplanes used for that stunt require the tail rudder surface to
    have a physical locking device which can be engaged with enough
    strength to prevent the rudder from slamming to one side, which
    would probably tear it (and maybe the entire tail surface) off
    the plane.

    Floyd Davidson, Dec 15, 2005

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Neither does the Pope. "Freedom", according to official church
    doctrine, means the freedom to follow God as the church dictates.
    And the Catholic churchs works constantly to change laws of nations in
    order to have them conform with church doctrine.

    Islam is no more radical than is Christianity. The big difference is
    that Muslim nations haven't been invading Christian countries and killing
    Christians by the tens of thousands.

    Ray Fischer, Dec 15, 2005

    George Kerby Guest

    Explains a lot about you, Fischer. You were brought up by Conservative
    Catholics, to which you rebelled against, as a teenager.Today, half a
    century later, you haven't yet learned to think with your brain and carry
    the liberal mantra. Interesting.

    George Kerby, Dec 15, 2005