    clear about the incoming packets *tagged, or untagged) and how that works
    exactly. Also why/what advantages are there to this method over port based.

    Thanks

    Jack B. Pollack, Aug 19, 2011

  2. Jack B. Pollack

    scape

    Joined:
    May 26, 2012
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    0
    802.1q allows multiple vlans to pass over a single connection between devices. If you want 10 vlans to go between 2 switches you use 1 cable and configure both switches to pass all 10 vlans over that one cable.

    If we didn't have clan tagging the above example would use 10 ports on each switch to get all10 vlans over to the other switch.

    Does this help?

    Scape

    scape, May 29, 2012