Trying to monitor port on Cisco 1841

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ponga, Jul 21, 2009.

  1. ponga

    ponga Guest

    Anybody know what's going on here? I am trying to monitor f0/0 to
    f0/1, when I go to conf t, I try this:
    ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f0/0
    ^
    % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

    A 'sh int f0/0' sure works fine. Why won't this?

    Here I am using the trusty '?', just to make sure I am entering the
    command right, and it appears that way, except when I enter it, I get
    that error. Example:

    ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int ?
    FastEthernet FastEthernet IEEE 802.3

    ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f ?
    <0-0> FastEthernet interface number

    ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f 0 ?
    % Unrecognized command
    108BISBEE(config)#mon session 1 source int ?
    FastEthernet FastEthernet IEEE 802.3

    ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f?
    FastEthernet

    ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f0?
    /

    ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f0/?
    <0-1> FastEthernet interface number

    ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f0/0
    ^
    % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

    If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it!

    Here is part of the sh ver:
    Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.4
    (3i), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
    Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
    Copyright (c) 1986-2007 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Wed 28-Nov-07 18:48 by stshen

    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

    ponga, Jul 21, 2009

  2. ponga

    Thrill5 Guest

    You can't SPAN a router interface on a router, which is what the monitor
    command does. The monitor command is only valid on a switch.

    Thrill5, Jul 21, 2009

  3. ponga

    bod43 Guest

    I agree, however it would be nice if unsupported commands were
    not included in the "help".

    There is no reason at all to have them 'appear' to
    be supported and then to find that they don't actually work.

    I would imagine that the geniuses who designed the IOS command line
    would be horrified by this abberation. They had a clue.

    bod43, Jul 21, 2009
  4. The 1841 ISR has 8 Fastethernet ports for connecting access devices.
    Explains why the command is available.

    Justin G. Mitchell, Jul 21, 2009
  5. ponga

    ponga Guest