Trying to locate a copyright infringement case

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JC Dill, Feb 25, 2009.

  1. JC Dill

    JC Dill Guest

    A few years ago I read about a copyright infringement case but I lost
    the details and now I can't find a cite to this case. The details:

    A photographer had a stock photo of a woman on the beach at sunset, with
    the sun peeking thru between her legs, forming a "starburst. A band
    wanted to use this photo on their album cover, and entered into
    negotiations with the photographer. The band felt the photographer
    wanted too much money, and stopped negotiating. They then hired another
    photographer to go out and shoot a substantially similar shot for their
    album cover. The first photographer sued, claiming that the second
    photographer "copied" his photo and violated his copyright. He won the
    case and was awarded a fairly hefty amount ($100k or so) for the
    copyright violation.

    This was in the 1970s or 1980s.

    Does this ring a bell with anyone?

    Thanks!

    jc

    JC Dill, Feb 25, 2009

  2. JC Dill

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Yup, I watched that case with some interest, as I had just bought the
    album.. It was Fatboy Slim's "Halfway Between the Gutter and the
    Stars", and the original shot was allegedly taken by Ernst Haas ('Sunset
    Silhouette') - but I've never seen that image...

    http://www.allbusiness.com/retail-trade/miscellaneous-retail-retail-stores-not/4450502-1.html

    Mark Thomas, Feb 25, 2009

  3. JC Dill

    Mark Thomas Guest

    PS - That album contains the decidedly weird "Weapon of Choice" track,
    which was the one with the even weirder, remarkable dancing from
    Christopher Walken.

    So uncool, it is COOOOL!

    Mark Thomas, Feb 25, 2009