    it to look decent when I get done.

    Thanks in advance,
    Will

    c.reifert, Jun 2, 2005

  2. c.reifert

    Evan Platt Guest

    Almost any decent photo editing program. I like Paint Shop Pro

    Evan Platt, Jun 2, 2005

  3. c.reifert

    Pennywise Guest

    |>I've got a family picture that I've scanned that is so darn big that I
    |>had to scan it in two separate scans. Now I'm trying to find software
    |>that will allow me to join the two halves together for a slideshow that
    |>I'm doing for a 60th anniversary party this weekend. Maybe I'm not
    |>googling correctly, but I've gone through about 200-250 of the first
    |>links brought up with no success.
    |>
    |>Do any of you know of a program that will let me splice the two picture
    |>halves together into one? It doesn't have to be perfect, but I'd like
    |>it to look decent when I get done.

    Most any of them.

    You would create a new picture and copy and paste the pieces into it.

    Say you have to two pix that measure 4X4 you would create a new pix
    8X4 and copy and paste the two pix into it.

    Paintshop pro http://tinyurl.com/e2g5r and Photoshop allow layers,
    each pix copied into the new picture would be a different layer, that
    you can move easier to blend the edges (even overlap).

    When your satisfied with the results you would then flatten it
    (combine both layers) and save in your choice of format.

    Pennywise, Jun 2, 2005
  4. What you're talking about is referred to as "stitching". You can simply
    paste two pictures together in any photo editing program with a little
    overlap, but there's specialty software that does a more professional job:

    Here's a $40 solution:
    http://panograph4u.com/

    A $64 solution:
    http://www.panavue.com/index.htm

    A £900.00 solution:
    http://www.d-vw.com/D_Joiner/index.htm

    A free one if you're a little geeky:
    http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~dersch/FAQ.html

    A Microsoft solution suggested retail at $69:
    http://www.microsoft.com/products/imaging/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=002

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 2, 2005
  5. c.reifert

    samuel Guest

    why so big ?

    bmp ? jpg ?
    a graphics editor even ms paint

    this is good http://www.photofiltre.com

    samuel, Jun 2, 2005
  6. c.reifert

    c.reifert Guest

    Thanks to all of you that answered. The graphics programs I use don't
    have this availability, so I'll take a look at the links as soon as I
    can. It ends up that tonight Mediacom cable is screwed up to all
    subscribers (according to the 800 number). I can't get to any websites,
    but at least e-mail and newsgroups are working again (finally). What a
    night!

    Will

    c.reifert, Jun 2, 2005
  7. Just so we're clear, you can do what you're describing in MSPaint that
    is included with Windows. It may not offer much in the way of
    sophistication, but you can do it. If you have two halves of the pic,
    let's assume they're 800x1000 pixels. Create a new, blank image that is
    1600x1000 pixels. Simply copy and paste the two smaller ones together
    into the new bigger one, postition them by dragging them around. That's
    a simplified approach, but I think you get the idea.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 2, 2005
  8. c.reifert

    c.reifert Guest

    I understand, and will give it a try. I'm thinking that MS Paint wants
    you to work with bmp, gif and jpg. These are two tif files, but I'll
    try changing them over to a different format. I was just worried in
    Paint that you'd have to have exactly half and half to merge together...
    overlapping could be a problem (these two files aren't exactly
    half/half, it's more like 3/4 and 3/4).

    I'll still give 'er the old college try. :)

    Will

    c.reifert, Jun 2, 2005
  9. c.reifert

    c.reifert Guest

    .... And thanks for the help (I forgot to say that in the other one).

    Will

    c.reifert, Jun 2, 2005
  10. Hope it helps. Many ways to skin a cat. (MWTSAC) < I just made up that
    acronym. Please credit me if you're writing for a syndicated news outlet.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 2, 2005
  11. c.reifert

    Evan Platt Guest

    My guess is a poster, or it's simply bigger than 8.5x11 - the size of
    most scanners.

    Evan Platt, Jun 2, 2005
  12. c.reifert

    c.reifert Guest

    Aye, that's correct. It's more the size of the legal-size paper. If I
    could find someone with a scanner around here that is more like 14" long
    instead of the standard 11", I'd probably be okay. I stopped at
    Walgreen's tonight figuring I could scan it there and save it to my USB
    hard drive (256meg). Should have known they'd only have the 8.5x11 as
    well. I'll try calling Kinko's in the morning, since if I could scan it
    with the right-size scanner it'd save a lot of dang work.

    Will

    c.reifert, Jun 2, 2005
  13. I think they do. All it takes is the ability to create a new image and
    the ability to cut/paste the two half-scans you have into that new
    image.

    Paste one, paste the other and move it about until it meshes.

    As for ability -- how can a graphics editor not have the basic
    createNew/copy/paste abilities.

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 2, 2005
  14. c.reifert

    M.L. Guest

    ArcSoft PhotoBase has a stitching function that is very easy to use.
    www.arcsoft.com

    M.L., Jun 3, 2005