Trying to change ARP entry on Cisco 7507

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Ray Van Dolson, Dec 28, 2004.

  1. I'm trying to modify an ARP table entry on a Cisco 7507 router via
    Net-SNMP 5.1.2 and running into some problems.

    My first attempt involved the procedure listed here:

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/SNMP/clear_arp.shtml

    which worked great, except for sometimes the ARP entry would be
    repopulated with the old value due to timing issues on our end that at
    this point are unavoidable.

    So I figured I could set an ARP entry manually via SNMP. I am using
    the atPhysAddress object type. It appears this is marked as deprecated
    by my MIB, but I can't find any other object to modify. I tried
    ipNetToMediaPhysAddress but it is read-only.

    I am using the following command:

    snmpset -c <COMM_STRING> -v 2c <ROUTER_IP> \
    RFC1213-MIB::atPhysAddress.9.1.<DEVICE_IP> = "00 0F 20 D0 95 67"

    I have tried various variations on the command above: replacing the "="
    with an "x", and also modifying the contents of the string to be in 0x0
    0x0F, etc, etc format.

    No matter what however, the following is returned:

    Error in packet.
    Reason: commitFailed
    Failed object: RFC1213-MIB::atPhysAddress.9.1.<DEVICE_IP>

    So I'm thinking that what I want to do is either not possible on my
    Cisco or I am constructing my snmpset query incorrectly.

    Ray

    Ray Van Dolson, Dec 28, 2004