Trying find how to reset the permissions on a WinXP Home w SP2 registry keys

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Vic, Nov 5, 2005.

  1. Vic

    Vic Guest

    The only thing I seem to be able to find at the Microsoft site all deals
    with some version of office. I tried some of the first few suggestions but I
    could not find anything that was actually applicable.

    At the Symantec site mostly talked about going in and resetting the
    permissions for HKLM but whenever I try that I just get a different saying
    cannot open error while opening file or an error saying that I don't have
    adminstrative privlages.

    The brandeis link delt with the Norton Corporate edition but it suggested
    trying the SymNRT removal utilities, so I tried that the program ran
    successfully but still I have the same problem.

    The expert exchange looks like it might have some relavent data but I don't
    have a paid membership so I really don't have access to the solution.

    Board blog was really only for a Mac it linked back to the symantec site for
    Symantec Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh DiskMountNotify Local Privilege
    Escalation and the adobe link tells you to set the permissions to inherit
    which I cannot do at this time.

    The microsoft
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;303089&spid=2509&sid=54 but only
    applies to windows 98, 98se & me no help there.

    Near as I can tell Zone Alarm has never been on the system

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606 is for
    NAV 2003 or earlier for newer you must use
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
    but even after this I am still receiving the same error.

    I have found countless messages on board that deal with error 1402 and the
    vast majority of them deal with some kind of permission on the registry key.

    Any other ideas or on a way to narrow the seach down to actually find a
    solution?

    Thanks
    Vic

    Windows issues, as it's a MS product

    Try the Symantec support site,
    http://www.symantec.com/search/
    Results for: error 1402
    21318 results found, top 500 sorted by relevance
    hide summaries 1-10 next

    failing that www.google.com among several items for -

    norton antivirus 2005 error 1402

    Norton Installation Error
    01:03 AM, Norton Installation Error. I had to uninstall some anti-virus
    as it
    was being ... Cause: Error 1920 and 1402 are caused by the application
    (Norton ...
    http://my.brandeis.edu/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0002MK - 16k -
    Cached - Similar pages

    Experts Exchange - All Viruses Questions Page 3
    While installing Norton AntiVirus 2005, I'm prompted with the following
    option.
    .... Add and remove function in main windows I recive this error: Error
    1402. ...
    www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/Viruses/All_Questions_3.html - 49k
    - Cached - Similar pages

    Experts Exchange - Time Tested Viruses Solutions Page 4
    Using the Add and remove function in main windows I recive this
    error: Error 1402.
    ... Command line options for Norton AntiVirus 2005 (162 views) ...
    www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/Viruses/Top_Solutions_4.html -
    50k - Cached - Similar pages

    BugBlog October 2005
    10/21/2005 Local Attacks Possible via Norton AntiVirus for Macs.
    Security researchers
    at iDefense found a bug ... Error 1402: Could not open key [key name]
    www.bjkresearch.com/bugblog/ - 33k - Cached - Similar pages

    BugBlog September 2005
    Error 1402: Could not open key [key name] ... 6 and you are
    experiencing conflicts
    with Symantec Norton AntiVirus, then update Zone Alarm to
    6.0.667.000. ...
    www.bjkresearch.com/bugblog/bb0509.cfm - 38k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    Microsoft Office Access 2003
    This problem occurs if you run Norton AntiVirus or LiveUpdate and have
    the Script
    Blocking update ... Error message: Error 1402. Could not open key... ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/ph/2509/en-us/?sid=54&aid=3 - Similar pages

    If none of that works, try the Symantec removal tool
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606
    oops that was found searching Symantec support and Google for -
    manual remove norton antivirus 2005
    Several but being polite, see above.
    Me

    Vic, Nov 5, 2005

  2. Vic

    PC Guest

    Vic

    Some general ideas that occur to me are:

    1 Export the registry key / hive at the lowest point you can get to, edit it
    externally (it should be just text) re import it. (name it a .reg file and
    you should be able to just double click it)

    2 Try one of the 'registry compacting' tools and see if that will remove it
    seeing the parent program is no longer there.

    3 Try another Registry Editor eg:
    http://www.resplendence.com/download/reglite.exe ,
    or a pile of tools here
    http://www.freewarefind.com/archives/registry_tools.html

    4 Copy the Registry (System.dat & User.dat) edit them on another PC, replace
    them while booted from DOS or a Linux boot CD on the original PC.

    5 You have a Virus on the machine that is denying you access, Online scan,
    burn a UBCD with latest virus def's & scan.

    6 (You're gonna luv this one) There is no 'fault' with the software but a
    fault with the hard drive. I had a machine suddenly asking for a password
    where there had never been one used (at all) before. Tried all the password
    hack's, turned out to be a dying hard drive. Logical when you think about
    it, dying drive, odd bits 'flip', just needs one bit to 'flip' in your
    registry file that happens to mean 'no access' or password required and
    nothing short of a bomb is gonna fix that.

    Best luck
    Paul.

    PC, Nov 5, 2005

  3. Some info here: http://tinyurl.com/ahkj7

    Good Luck [email protected]

    [email protected], Nov 5, 2005
  4. Vic

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 03:43:04 GMT, Vic wrote:

    Can it be assumed your post is in reply to some previous thread?

    If you read the article (236427) , it says Office 2000.
    The error code and message are the same, the effect is the same. It's
    assumed one of the suggestions , scanreg didn't work. You didn't say.
    Did you change ownership? Taking an accurate note of current settings to
    change back.
    Then it didn't work, running the program is one thing doing the fix is
    another.
    I don't , I simply scroll down the page and read the threads. Never had
    to subscribe, or you can subscribe.
    Wow, what a lot of info. Getting feedback is one thing , a novel of
    replies is another.

    You may not have realised the links found on Google were from a simple
    search for you to look at, they wern't exact answers, that's called
    reading and research, refining the search.

    If some of the links didn't suit you run the search again and read some
    of the many other links.
    If you aren't using a MAC it makes sense, or it's a windup by now.
    At the top of the article - View products that this article applies to.

    At the bottom of the article , in the applies to list -
    • Microsoft Office XP Standard Edition
    • Microsoft Office XP Professional Edition
    • Microsoft Office XP Small Business Edition
    • Microsoft Office XP Standard Edition
    You should know?
    Yes it says that, but it also mentions Nav 2005 which was what you asked
    about.

    Why are you repeating everything?

    A simple, thanks for the help, several of the links didn't lead
    anywhere, tried scanreg and changing permissions didn't work.
    Do you have any more suggestions.

    All of your epic reply replaced by not so many lines.
    Log a fault with Symantec Support.
    Your registry is broken. Take the easy route, backup everything
    important, several times test the backup will restore. Reformat an
    reinstall.
    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Nov 5, 2005