    Gee, guess who lost his posting privileges at his ISP for spamming?

    ROTFL!

    PS: Easynews doesn't like spammers either. ;^)

    Bob Larter, Jul 15, 2009

  2. RichA

    Bob Larter Guest

    I was just pointing out that 20x30" prints of the same will clearly show
    the difference between a Canon G10 & a digital Hassy. If you're only
    printing 6x4"s, a P&S is perfectly adequate for many purposes.
    I've done the same with my 6.3MP EOS 10D. I even have one spectacular
    image from my old Powershot S30 (3MP) that I printed at 20x30", but it
    required a lot of work in Photoshop, & it looks more like a painting
    than a photo, but for the subject matter, it works well.

    Bob Larter, Jul 15, 2009

  3. RichA

    Bob Larter Guest

    Sure, if you're stitching shots of static subjects. It's not something
    you can do with a portrait, though, for example.

    Bob Larter, Jul 15, 2009
  4. RichA

    Bob Larter Guest

    If you don't know how we can easily spot your posts, I'm certainly not
    going to tip you off. ;^)

    Bob Larter, Jul 15, 2009
  5. David J Taylor, Jul 15, 2009
  6. RichA

    Bob Larter Guest

    No, that's the two cameras mentioned in the article, as you well know.

    Bob Larter, Jul 15, 2009
  7. RichA

    Bob Larter Guest

    Don't be ridiculous. Short of shooting a showroom dummy or a corpse,
    it's not possible.

    Bob Larter, Jul 15, 2009
  8. RichA

    Guest Guest

    don't be ridiculous. john navas is not subject to the laws of physics.

    Guest, Jul 15, 2009
  9. RichA

    -hh Guest

    As usual, "it depends".

    Assuming a reasonably cooperative subject, there's not necessarily too
    much movement, particularly if the seam doesn't fall predominently on
    the primary subject, but in the background, where bokeh may help to
    obscure it, etc...

    Similarly, for less-than-demanding outputs ... such as a website
    image ... the down-rezzing can also play a contributing role.

    For example:

    http://tinyurl.com/leluf4

    ....is it a stich, and if so, describe (location; orientation)?
    Or doesn't it really matter if it is or isn't because its low-rez?

    -hh

    -hh, Jul 15, 2009
  10. RichA

    Scott W Guest

    It is exactly the kind of noise you see using a camera with a small
    sensor.

    Even given that the P&S might have been the best choice for the job if
    you needed at small camera during that time.

    My point is that small sensor cameras are a compromise and don’t come
    close to filling all photographic needs. This does not mean everyone
    needs a DSLR, but only using a P&S will limit you somewhat, and
    depending on what kind of photography you do perhaps a lot.

    Scott

    Scott W, Jul 15, 2009
  11. RichA

    Bob Larter Guest

    Apparently not! ;^)

    Bob Larter, Jul 15, 2009
  12. RichA

    Bob Larter Guest

    No worries. Show me a sample portrait done that way that doesn't look
    like a space alien, & I'll publicly apologise for doubting you.

    Bob Larter, Jul 15, 2009
  13. RichA

    Scott W Guest

    So I use three different cameras, depending on the circumstances, they
    are all compromises to some degree.
    Sure, in many cases only using a DSLR would limit what a person could
    photograph, but luckly we don't have to only use one or the other.

    In December my wife and I are going to do the Honolulu marathon, I am
    sure not going to take my DSLR for 26.2 miles, but I am going to take
    my P&S. I don’t think I saw anyone doing the marathon last year with
    a DSLR in hand, but lots of people had P&S cameras.

    On the other hand if I am shooting a canoe race I am going to take my
    DSLR and some good lenses. I also take along the P&S since it is so
    small and can get those quick grab shots that would take too long to
    change a lens for.

    If I am shooting indoors the DLSR is the camera I am going to take.

    Different needs take different cameras, it is nice to have a choice.

    Scott

    Scott W, Jul 15, 2009
  14. Nah, it doesn't prove that, but even if it did, who wants to stitch 144
    or more images together? Might as well make a Genoa jib out of the same
    number of squares of cloth.

    John McWilliams, Jul 16, 2009
  15. Neither is true of Scott W, John.
    Please refrain from churlishness.

    John McWilliams, Jul 16, 2009
  16. RichA

    Scott W Guest

    Hm, as it turns out I have stitched more then 144 images together, not
    something that I would want to do very often. But you can get a quick
    boost of resolution by just stitching 5 photos together. The time it
    takes to capture the 5 photos is pretty small, depending on the shot
    to shot time of the camera.

    But stitching does have its limits, it does not make up for limits at
    the long zoon end of a super zoon lens. It will give you more field
    of view, but if you are trying to make out details in a subject a long
    ways away it does not good. It is also no good at most sports
    photography.

    Stitching is like everything else, it is a nice tool to have but it
    does not answer all the photographic needs out there. Stitching
    replaces much of the need for MF and LF cameras, but does nothing for
    the need for good long lenses.

    BTW this one is make up from 170 images from my P&S camera.
    http://sewcon.com/samples/200MP_Image_small.jpg
    The red square on the wheel is the crop area for this photo
    http://sewcon.com/samples/200MP_image_crop.jpg

    This was mostly goofing around with the Gigapan.

    But you can add a lot of resolution with just a few photos, this is 5
    stitched together.
    http://sewcon.com/samples/pan1 08-25-05.jpg

    Taken in 2005 with a P&S camera. There are now DSLR that will out do
    that with one image, but for 2005 the image is not bad and took very
    little work to capture or stitch. But during the same trip my wife
    was shooting a 20D while I was using a Sony F828, there were many
    photos that she got that I could not come close to getting with the
    F828.

    Scott

    Scott W, Jul 16, 2009
  17. I see you went to one of those schools where they teach swearing
    instead of Latin. I'm pleased to see it helps out your conversational
    skills.
    Quite.

    Chris Malcolm, Jul 16, 2009
  18. ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.]

    Please watch the patented Navas dance of moving goalposts:
    Why does Navas never give good examples? Aren't they
    possible?

    A dSLR could have produced a much better image while a FZ28
    wouldn't (and didn't), watch how Navas twists it:
    Of course, trying is impossible ...

    .... because it hurts the FZ28. When claiming (wrongly) that
    the FZ28 has more resolution than some DSLR with less MPix from
    2002, Navas does nothing *but* relying on pixel peeping and wrong
    interpretation of pixel peeping. There pixel peeping suddenly
    is wonderful.
    But that guy looks like he has a skin disease. That's not
    bashing, that's a fact.
    None of them would be offered as proof how good the DSLR
    works. Moving goalposts ...
    Yes, Navas is grown up! Really!
    Buying a P&S to do the work of a DSLR doesn't make you a
    photographer, it makes you an idiot.
    By Navas' shots, the twelve inches should be upgraded soon.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 16, 2009
  19. ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.]

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 16, 2009
  20. RichA

    Scott W Guest

    But what if you have two cameras with you?

    This kind of reminds me of the saying "A man with one watch knows what
    time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure." (Lee Segall).

    I don't mind at all that you find a P&S works best for you, I can't
    judge what tradeoff are worth to you. What I have a problem with is
    that you don’t seem to want to admit to there being any limitation
    using your P&S at all.

    For myself I have a few cameras that meet much of my needs but not
    all. I would not try to argue that in many cases I could get better
    photos using a camera with a full frame sensor. I could also do
    better with a G10 and a waterproof housing then my current waterproof
    camera. But I am not going to go out and buy every new camera that
    comes out. On the other hand just because I don’t own a camera I am
    not going to try and say that I am not in someways limited by not
    having it. I get pretty decent sports shots with what I have, but I
    am in no way going to compete with someone shooting a 1D Mark III
    using a 300mm f/2.8L, and I am ok with that.

    Scott

    Scott W, Jul 16, 2009