Try doing this with a P&S

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jul 8, 2009.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Jul 8, 2009

  2. RichA

    jurgenhaus Guest

    jurgenhaus, Jul 8, 2009

  3. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    How much does Nikon pay you to advertise?

    Ray Fischer, Jul 8, 2009
  4. RichA

    Ofnuts Guest

    Ofnuts, Jul 8, 2009

  5. Plus the fact that the jockey appears to have a horsehair beard
    and the horse initially appears to have a stump for a near-hand
    foreleg.

    Composition at its best.

    As is suggested elsewhwere the shot was most likely prefocussed
    using the horse passing a pole in the background as the trigger.
    Which as the horses will all follow a fairly narrow band around the
    track - is not a particularly difficult thing to do.

    Shame matey didn't wait for the next horse coming around the bend
    though, so as to get all of its legs outlined.

    The modelling on the horse is solely the result of the way the
    sunlight falls at that hour of the day, again nothing to do
    with the camera.

    michael adams

    michael adams, Jul 8, 2009
  6. RichA

    Bob Williams Guest

    And WHAT, pray tell is so special about that picture that it couldn't
    have been taken with just as easily with a Panasonic FZ30 superzoom,
    with its superb Leica lens?
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jul 8, 2009
  7. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Or the one photo out of 100 that actually was in focus.

    Ray Fischer, Jul 8, 2009
  8. RichA

    Not Given Guest

    Not enough Depth of Field for a short lens the same field of view with a
    FZ30 @64mm. The shot is not great, but not a P&S.

    Not Given, Jul 8, 2009
  9. RichA

    Bob Larter Guest

    ROTFL.

    Betcha that's what the P&S troll says. ;^)

    Bob Larter, Jul 8, 2009
  10. RichA

    ray Guest

    Most likely, I wouldn't even want to try to do that with a P&S. Just like
    I wouldn't attempt a 10 mile hike with a dslr and all it's gadgets.

    ray, Jul 8, 2009
  11. RichA

    Rich Guest

    I've watched people try to shoot things like that with dog-slow and
    inaccurate superzoom P&S's, it's tragic.

    Rich, Jul 8, 2009
  12. RichA

    Rich Guest

    I don't know. A compact DSLR with two lenses is not exactly massively
    heavy.
    Soldiers do hikes like that with 70lbs of gear. Is 3lbs going to kill
    you?

    Rich, Jul 8, 2009
  13. While you are correct about capturing this shot with a P&S, try
    capturing 5 of them in a row when there's high action with one.

    A colleague has been shooting for UPI for 30 years. He shoots big
    Canon's. At the ball park, at crash sites, air shows, race tracks,
    political events.. you name it.

    When we were discussing camera choices, he said you can capture
    any moment with any camera. IF you have the time. With a P$S, you
    can capture the shot, but getting it up to speed, to focus, and
    adjust all the parameters takes time. So you need to know the
    critical moment is coming well before it's here so you can make sure
    the camera has done all the things it needs to do after you push the
    release button halfway so you can snap off the shutter just advance
    of the moment enough to capture it. A good photographer will be able
    to do that. A great photographer will be able to capture that moment
    and the 3 either side of it. For THAT, you need a faster more
    responsive camera.

    The key to spontaneity is adequate preparation. And the right tools.

    No one's saying that a P&S is not a valid camera choice. My g/f
    shoots a CoolPix and gets some impressive shots when we're shooting
    together and speed is not an issue. But at airshows her P&S is
    tucked away. It's just not the right tool for the job. To put that
    in another venue, you don't need a Lotus or a Ferrari to go fast.
    If fast is all you need, can run a race with any car. After all, a
    '63 Avanti will do 180 MPH off the showroom floor. But, just TRY to
    corner with it.

    The JOB determines the correctness of the tool.

    D. Peter Maus, Jul 8, 2009
  14. RichA

    ray Guest

    Is it going to kill me? No, probably not. I also don't train to do hikes
    with 70 pounds of gear. Now, what two lenses are going to give me 28 to
    450 equiv - and exactly how much do they weigh? I quite prefer to simply
    pack up my Kodak P850 and be on my way.

    ray, Jul 8, 2009
  15. RichA

    D-Mac Guest

    If you can't see the lack of detail in that shot, John... You need
    glasses. Like all miniature sensor cameras, detail is lost and the
    dynamic range has to be artificially compressed post shoot in a lame
    attempt to compensate for the inadequacies of the camera.

    Very clearly, you haven't discovered yet the difference between
    colourful images and ones accurately defining both detail and colour.

    D-Mac, Jul 8, 2009
  16. RichA

    Guest Guest

    which means they're inept.

    Guest, Jul 8, 2009

  17. You may wish to notice when someone is agreeing with you.

    Unless conflict is the only tool you have. :)

    D. Peter Maus, Jul 8, 2009
  18. RichA

    Ofnuts Guest

    Well, then the slow AF of the P&S has a chance...

    Ofnuts, Jul 8, 2009
  19. RichA

    D-Mac Guest

    You're not serious are you John?

    The amount of post processing that no doubt went on to arrive at a
    highly coloured image with minimal detail like this one just confirms
    that images from miniature sensor cameras only look OK because of the
    low resolution of a monitor.

    D-Mac, Jul 8, 2009
  20. RichA

    Guest Guest

    or that it's inconclusive and can't be pinned down to one thing.

    Guest, Jul 8, 2009