Troubleshooting networking problems in a new WinXP Pro 64-bitinstall--can'tget online

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Ken, Sep 20, 2008.

  1. Ken

    Ken Guest

    I have installed a new copy of WinXP Pro-64-bit SP2 on an ASUS P5K WS mb
    and cannot get online to update the operating system.

    My LAN is working just fine, with a gateway and DHCO server of
    192.168.x.yza and all computers are DHCP-assigned. When I plug in my
    ethernet cable, I receive a message that there is limited or no
    connectivity. The speed of my LAN is recognized at 100 Mbps. There is
    no assigned network address (the default 196.254.230.209 subnet maks
    255.255.0.0 is assigned)

    The mb uses two Marvell Yukon 88E8052 PCI-E ASF gigabit ethernet
    controllers; I have disabled one of them in the BIOS and the problem
    persists whether I use either one. Device manager says the one I have
    enabled is working. I have updated the driver to the latest on the ASUS
    website and I have updated the mb BIOS to the latest. There are no
    devices with conflicting resources.

    Device Advanced Settings:
    802.1p Support: on
    Flow control: Tx and Rx enabled
    Interrupt Moderation: enabled
    Jumbo packet: 1514
    Large send offload (IPv4): enabled
    Log Status Messages: Status messages
    Max IRQ per Sec: 5000
    Network Address: not present
    Receive buffers: 256
    Speed and Duplex: Auto negotiation
    TCP/UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4): on
    Transmit buffers: 256
    Wakeup from Shutdown: off
    Wake Up Capabilities: Magic Packet and Pattern

    In a command window, ipconfig /all yields the following:

    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name (appropriate)
    Primary Dns suffix (no entry)
    Node Type unknown
    IP Routing Enabled No
    WINS Proxy Enabled No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-Specific DNS Suffix: (no entry)
    physical address: 00-1D-......
    DHCP enabled Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP address 169.254.230.209
    Subnet mask 255.255.0.0
    Default gateway (no entry)

    Under Properties for Local Area Connection,
    Client for Microsoft Networks (brings up RPC Service with the name of
    service provider: Windows Locator (selected)
    QoS Packet Scheduler is present and selected
    Internet Protocol (TCP/IP): obtain an IP address automatically

    What additional info can I provide?
    Where do I go from here??

    Thanks
    Ken K

    Ken, Sep 20, 2008

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    I forgot to mention that Windows Firewall is off.

    Ken, Sep 20, 2008

  3. Ken

    Ed Medlin Guest

    There is an issue with the Marvell Yukon nics on Asus boards that in most
    cases can be easily resolved. This usually happens after a bios flash or an
    extended power-down time. Try shutting down the system and then turning off
    your PSU or unplugging the system from the wall for a couple of minutes.
    This will cause a hard reset of the ethernet controllers and will usually
    fix the problem. Good luck.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Sep 21, 2008
  4. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Ed Medlin said the following on 9/21/2008 5:53 AM:
    Somewhere along the course of reboots, unplugging and plugging in the
    connectors, I was somehow able first make contact with other computers
    on the LAN, then finally on to the internet. Perhaps it was an
    electrical issue with the connectors on the mb solved by powering the
    nics on and off through the BIOS or physically by having the connectors
    remove any coating left on the wires in the connectors as part of the
    cleaning process I am not sure, but all seems to be working now. Crazy...

    Ken, Sep 21, 2008
  5. Ken

    Ed Medlin Guest

    There is an issue with the Marvell Yukon nics on Asus boards that in most
    You may have powered them down or just cycled them off/on just right to get
    them to reset. It was a problem that drove me so nuts I went out and bought
    a 10/100 PCIe nic. I finally found the problem while reading some forum
    somewhere......:). I recently updated my bios and the problem came back and
    this time I knew what to do.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Sep 22, 2008