Troubleshooting memory problems

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Rudy Lopez, Mar 29, 2005.

  1. Rudy Lopez

    Rudy Lopez Guest

    I asked a question about a particular brand of memory before which I
    suspect is giving me problems. Someone suggested it could be the power
    supply.

    How do you tell if the power supply is giving you trouble?

    Would it be low voltage?

    (I think my motherboard came with diags that can measure the voltage
    and temperature).

    Or would it be more like occaisional spikes or drops in the voltage
    (which you would really need a storage scope to monitor)?

    For what it's worth I have a Soyo case and motherboard.

    Soyo is not spoken of too highly in the hardware books "PC Hardware
    in a Nutshell" and "Building the Perfect PC".

    If I had it to do over I would probably take that authors advice and
    go with an Antec case and an Intel motherboard. But at the moment I am
    trying to fix what I have.

    Rudy Lopez, Mar 29, 2005

  2. Rudy Lopez

    Rudy Lopez Guest

    The motherboard does indeed come with diags that run under windows.

    It measures the following voltages:

    "Vcore" - 1.45V (Is this supposed to be a little higher, like 1.8V??)

    "+3.3V" - 3.33V

    "+5V" - 5.05V

    "+12V" - 12.22V

    "DRAM" - 2.64V

    Are the "Vcore" and "DRAM" voltages around where they should be?

    (The motherboard has a 2.5GHz Celeron in it)

    Rudy Lopez, Mar 30, 2005