Trouble setting up network

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by KiwiBrian, Aug 27, 2005.

  1. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian Guest

    I am setting up my home network of 4 PCs.
    1 Laptop with XP Home, and 3 Desktops with XP Pro.
    The networking seems to be OK, altho not fully tested yet.
    But my query at the mo is:-
    On the Laptop when I open My Network Places in Windows Explorer, I see all
    of the network shared folders at the same level in the displayed hierarchy
    as Entire Network.
    If I drill down to Mshome which is where everything is displayed on the
    other PCs, I see all of the network shared folders here too.
    On one of the Desktops there is just one of the other PCs shared folders
    displaying at the same level as Entire Network, in addition to being in the
    right place in Mshome folder.
    I assume that everything should display on each computer in Mshome and
    nowhere else.
    If so, how do I achieve this?
    I hope this means something to someone who can point me in the right
    direction.
    TIA
    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, Aug 27, 2005

  2. KiwiBrian

    Steve Guest

    1. Firewalls? Some won't let clients in the same workgroup see each other.
    Zone alarm is one.
    2. Try the usual M$ answer... come back in half an hour and see if it's
    fixed itself :)

    Steve

    Steve, Aug 27, 2005