    create a disk and then ran that disk on the laptop. I am using DSL with a
    2wire router. The laptop finds the internet connection but doesn't see the
    desktop.

    Guest, May 26, 2006

  2. Guest

    Malke Guest

    This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. The only
    "gotcha" from running the Network Setup Wizard is that this turned on
    the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    substitute your correct subnet.

    Shared Documents folder.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
    troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke

    Malke, May 27, 2006