Trouble getting W98 PC to access Internet v ia wireless router

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Trevor Appleton, Jun 13, 2005.

  1. yep thats set at 'never dial a connection'

    Trevor Appleton, Jun 16, 2005

  2. and the LAN settings boxes ?

    my IE's bust ATM too, I just discovered. Shame.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jun 16, 2005

  3. just got the 'automatically detect settings ' box ticked

    Trevor Appleton, Jun 17, 2005
  4. tried it without ?

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jun 17, 2005

  5. yep - no different

    Trevor Appleton, Jun 17, 2005
  6. tried another browser ?

    or 'telnet www.bbc.co.uk 80' from a command prompt to see if HTTP
    traffic is being blocked somewhere. If not you'll get a blank screen
    then press Ctrl/C and Enter and you get an HTML error output.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jun 17, 2005
  7. Have never met this telnet thing b 4 but just did it and got a blank white
    window. Control c and enter then came up with some html and a small window
    saying something like connection lost

    Trevor Appleton, Jun 17, 2005
  8. that shows you can make a port 80 connection to a web server. So your
    connection is fine but your browser is broke.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jun 17, 2005
  9. Trevor Appleton

    Gaz Guest

    It points to either a proxy or a firewall exlcuding particular programmes
    from accessing the net..... I suppose in theory it could be some kind of
    spyware......
    I presume the OP has tried to either repair or remove or upgrade his
    particualr version of IE?

    Gaz

    Gaz, Jun 18, 2005

  10. ....off to do it now. Whats an OP BTW?

    Trevor Appleton, Jun 18, 2005
  11. Phil Thompson, Jun 18, 2005
  12. Having trouble finding a way of downloading MIE for the 98 PC since it's not
    online to download it. As far as I can see the Microsoft site seems to
    assume you are downloading it for the PC you are connecting to them with,
    and downloads a set up file.

    For 98 I need an older version than for this XP PC.

    Trevor Appleton, Jun 18, 2005
  13. Trevor Appleton

    poster Guest

    Have you tried switching to Opera - you should be able to get it on your XP
    machine even if it is suitable for Win 98. I've a Win 95 PC with Opera on
    it... Does not get closer to fixing your MS IE on Win 98, but gives you
    a browser and mail!

    If your Win 98 CD is handy you could use the System File Check facility...

    Start / Run then sfc (Good Luck!) Peter M.

    --

    E-mail + files - 30 day free trial - <http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/>
    Can be added as an MX record, so your domain mail gets stored safely,

    USENET news service ? <http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4> (plans from under US$5)

    poster, Jun 18, 2005
  14. Trevor Appleton

    Gaz Guest

    This is a wild shot, have you tried disabling the firewall in your router?
    Just to test......

    Gaz

    Gaz, Jun 18, 2005

  15. I have the 98 CD as a seperate partition for such events.

    Will give that a go.

    Trevor Appleton, Jun 18, 2005
  16. trying to avoid opera etc if poss as its my sons PC. Is there a way of
    transferring favourites from ME?

    Trevor Appleton, Jun 18, 2005

  17. Yes everytime I've tried any changes I've tried them with and without the
    firewall (Zonealarm)

    Trevor Appleton, Jun 18, 2005
  18. also just found that OE works fine on newsgroups

    Trevor Appleton, Jun 18, 2005
  19. Trevor Appleton

    Gaz Guest

    No, the firewall on your router not on your computer.
    I had a case a few days ago where several PCs where been kicked off the
    internet from an adsl router.
    The adsl router maintained its connection, and the PCs where free of viruses
    and spyware.
    The firewall within the router was (i assume due to some software in use for
    their business) assuming some kind of attack and shutting down access from
    certain PCs on certain ports.
    That would fit your scenario.

    Also since you mention zonealarm, have you actually tried to remove
    zonealarm from the computer, and see if that makes any difference.

    Gaz

    Gaz, Jun 18, 2005

  20. I can't access the router from the W 98 PC. Do you mean to say the router
    has a software firewall built in?

    I closed down Zonealarm as opposed to removing it from the PC.

    I have downloaded Firefox and thats working fine. My son is over the moon
    and wants to say thanks to all that helped!

    I wouldn't want to risk altering the router as I work from home on the
    internet, so perhaps best to stick with Firefox on that PC.

    Trevor

    Trevor Appleton, Jun 18, 2005