    Occasionally ojn start up it does work but mostly it doesn't.

    Switching off Zonealarm is no help.

    It connects to the router but I am unable to access the router using MIE.

    Trevor Appleton, Jun 13, 2005

  2. Trevor Appleton

    Gaz Guest

    have you checked ip addressed? is the PC obtaining an ip address
    (winipcfg), such as 192.168.x.x?

    If it is obtaining an address (you will get an address like 169.x.x.x etc if
    not), try pinging websites... Make sure all the settings in the network card
    are default, make sure that no proxy exists in your internet settings...
    In network neighbourhood, are you able to see other computers? Are you sure
    you are not using a cross over cable by mistake?

    Gaz

    Gaz, Jun 13, 2005

  3. Before I try these things, I'll add that I can access this computer throught
    the wireless router from other pc's.

    Off to check the other stuff now.

    Trevor Appleton, Jun 14, 2005
  4. Trevor Appleton

    Kevin Ashley Guest

    I have a similar problem with one W98 machine using Windows 98SE but
    don't see it on any of the other machines I have. The problem is that
    it picks up the wrong netmask - 255.0.0.0 - although it does correctly
    acquire its IP address via DHCP from the WAP. Like you, I find it works
    occasionally but more often than not it doesn't. But in every case
    doing a manual release and renew of the connection causes the
    right netmask to be obtained.

    Note that, for the problem I am seeing at least, IPCONFIG /RENEW
    on its own is not sufficient. From the DOS prompt, I need to do:

    IPCONFIG /RELEASE 0
    IPCONFIG /RENEW 0

    for all to be well.

    I haven't yet got sufficiently annoyed by this to try to track down
    the underlying cause and fix it. It seems to fit with the other
    symptom you described, wherein access to other machines on your
    local LAN is OK (because they aren't affected by a bad netmask.)

    HTH

    Kevin Ashley, Jun 14, 2005
  5. Trevor Appleton

    Gaz Guest

    Maybe the drivers on your nic are not up to scratch, you could be using some
    ancient ones from the MS internal drivers database, at least eight years
    old. A newer driver might sort that out..... Or even, putting in the ip
    address and subnet mask manually.....

    Gaz

    Gaz, Jun 14, 2005
  6. do you mean obtain addresses automatically? (DNS/IP)

    make sure that no proxy exists in your internet settings...

    Can you explain?

    Yes I can and there are no cables attached, it's working wirelessly

    Trevor Appleton, Jun 14, 2005
  7. One other detail:

    On start up just now I ran AVG Anti Virus and it connected and download the
    virus defintion files!!

    Is the problem with MIE then?

    Outlook Express won't work on either howevr.

    Trevor Appleton, Jun 14, 2005
  8. Trevor Appleton

    Gaz Guest

    Have you checked for proxies?

    Go to internet options in control panel and connections, LanSettings. Make
    sure no settings are selected.
    Have you also tried pinging, first with an address, ie www.google.com and
    then with the ip number 216.239.59.99

    see if you get a response from either

    Gaz

    Gaz, Jun 14, 2005

  9. In LAN settings there was a tick in the first box 'detedt settings
    automatically' which I unticked.

    I get a reply of around 86 - 92 ms on both pings, though the black window
    immediately shuts.

    Trevor Appleton, Jun 14, 2005
  10. Can also access the internet with RealPlayer

    Trevor Appleton, Jun 14, 2005
  11. Trevor Appleton

    poster Guest

    If you get an MS-DOS window (start / run / 'command' if no MS-DOS shortcut)
    then you should be able to keep the 'black window' to see the results.

    ('exit' is used to exit the command line and close the MS-DOS window)
    --

    E-mail + files - 30 day free trial - <http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/>
    Can be added as an MX record, so your domain mail gets stored safely,

    USENET news service ? <http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4> (plans from under US$5)

    poster, Jun 15, 2005

  12. When I type ping www.google.com etc in the black window I get a few lines
    telling me the time it took, then it vanishes

    Trevor Appleton, Jun 15, 2005
  13. Trevor Appleton

    poster Guest

    Seems like you are still not opening an MS-DOS window, but giving command
    at Start / Run (which would cause it to launch in an MS-DOS window but to
    then vanish on completion). Did you try Start / Run and then give the name
    of the program to run as 'command' ? (with no apostrophes) If you did,
    you should get an MS-DOS window with a prompt of something like

    C:\ .... >

    where .... might be some long or short path, or something truncated to 8
    characters ie instead of C:\Program Files\> it may show C:\Program~>

    Once you have such a command prompt, you can enter various MS-DOS commands
    dir cd <path> netstat and so on, and use ping .... (and you should
    get the command prompt back after each command has executed) Peter M.

    poster, Jun 15, 2005

  14. Right yes I was doing that.

    Any thoughts on getting this W98 PC connected to my router?

    Trevor Appleton, Jun 15, 2005
  15. Trevor Appleton

    poster Guest

    you were doing which (just typing the ping command in and not
    getting an MS-DOS window, I assume).
    Not yet... my Win 95 and other kit seems OK with my router, but I'll have
    another read of what you are doing... hmmm, I am happily using RJ45 and I
    therefore suspect the wireless aspect, but have you compared the settings
    for the network on both Win 98 and Win XP systems ? I don't touch DHCP,
    and I specify the primary and secondary nameservers myself, on each PC,
    so my choices are rather different (I also use 10.0.0.xxx for each unit,
    which someone commented about a while ago). Peter M.

    poster, Jun 15, 2005
  16. it is already from what you have written, zonealarm realplayer and
    ping all work - correct ?

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jun 16, 2005

  17. Yes but MIE and OE won't work

    Trevor Appleton, Jun 16, 2005
  18. what a relief, install Firefox and Thunderbird and you're away.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jun 16, 2005
  19. Trevor Appleton

    poster Guest

    A little less 'flip' than Phil, but it does seem if the problem with use is
    limited to Microsoft applications then there's something wrong deeper down
    on your PC. On a Windows 95 PC I am using Opera, and Pegasus mail is there
    but I know I can 'kid' Microsoft apps by using the 'Work Offline' setting
    (which doesn't stop other things from using the internet, just MS s/w).

    poster, Jun 16, 2005
  20. the "never dial a connection" thing may be helpful, Tools Internet
    Options or wherever. Providing the LAN Settings boxes are clear of
    junk.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jun 16, 2005