Trouble downloading certain things. Happened overnight.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Goforit, Apr 7, 2004.

  1. Goforit

    Goforit Guest

    Hi folks.

    Something has happened to my puter, which I am still unable to fix. It will
    not allow me to update any Windows Updates. I click on "download", and it
    does nothing.

    Also, a couple of the etailers I use, will not allow me to place items in
    the shopping trolley. Sounds petty, but this happened overnight some weeks
    back.

    I have tried 'msconfig' services and start up, have also tried it without
    firewalls connected, disabled and enabled cookies, have even contacted the
    maker of my computer and they are stuck for answers. (They thought it would
    be in the msconfig option).

    The computer came with XP installed, so I cannot reload the whole program as
    I do not have the original disks.
    I have been trying to fix it for the passed month, and am way behind on MS
    patches, updates, etc.

    Anyone encountered this problem and been able to fix it? Not to mention the
    shopping trolley problem also.

    Goforit, Apr 7, 2004

  2. Goforit

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    I had the same problem with a 2000 machine that I ended up having to bite
    the bullet and start from scratch on. Never did find a solution, let me
    know if you find one.

    DeMoN LaG, Apr 7, 2004

  3. Goforit

    Goforit Guest

    That sounds promising. LOL

    Goforit, Apr 7, 2004
  4. Goforit

    Yep Guest

    Interesting. I am having the same problem on one of my XP boxes. It
    will scan for updates, show me that there are 6 critical updates to
    download but the download progress bar sits at 0%. It will sit htere
    all night and do nothing.

    If you figure it post it please. I will do the same.

    Yep, Apr 7, 2004
  5. Goforit

    Thor Guest

    Have you tried using system restore, and setting it back to a time prior to
    the problem? Also, there is a registry edit procedure that will allow you to
    re-install internet explorer, which may fix the trouble.

    1. While you are logged on as an administrator, click
    Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the
    IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify. To
    reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component
    on Windows XP, use the following registry key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active
    Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-
    00AA005B4383}

    To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the
    following registry key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active
    Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-
    00AA00B6015C}

    4. Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.
    5. Quit Registry Editor, and then download and install
    Internet Explorer 6.

    Thor, Apr 7, 2004
  6. Goforit

    Goforit Guest

    That's exactly what mine is doing.

    Goforit, Apr 7, 2004
  7. Goforit

    Goforit Guest

    Thanks Thor. Will try it. Appreciate it.

    Goforit, Apr 7, 2004
  8. Goforit

    Yep Guest

    Well I tried a few things like doing disk cleanup and clearing all
    history and cache in IE. Still have the same problem. I can go to
    Windows catalog and do individual downloads but that is not a fix.

    I am going to try Thors solution tonight.

    Yep, Apr 8, 2004
  9. Goforit

    Goforit Guest

    Me too. I'll let ya know how it goes with mine.

    Goforit, Apr 9, 2004