    text on the screen but I can't input anything? I've looked at the
    pinouts on cisco's website and I don't see anything wrong.

    -Jared

    JaredBowe, Aug 7, 2006

  2. They are the same pinout.
    If the cable works in one and not the other, I'd imagine that either
    the cable is marginal, or the port in the 3524 is marginal.

    You may want to take a tiny probe tool and bend the pins down a little
    on the RJ connector. Maybe take a pencil eraser to them first before
    doing so to clean them a little.

    Sounds like the TX from the workstation to the switch isn't getting
    data through.

    I have seen a few devices here and there that just wouldn't take
    commands though. Luckily I had managed to turn login on the aux port
    first before the console went totally. Just have to remember never to
    do a write erase on them ever unless I want to pay to get it repaired.

    Doug McIntyre, Aug 7, 2006

  3. JaredBowe

    anybody43 Guest

    Could it be that the config-register is set to leave the
    speed-etc at default and the config sets it away from that?

    So:- You see the boot messages up until the config loads and then
    it stops working?

    I have no idea if this is posible or not.

    If this is indeed happening you could possibly do password
    recovery to the stage of getting the device booted without the
    config loaded and then look at the startup config to see the
    console parameters. This would definately work on a router
    but I forget the exact details of the 3524.

    Thereare not so many parameters that you cannot try all
    possibilities.

    anybody43, Aug 7, 2006
  4. No, doing anything with 'config-register' in config mode saves it into
    system. It never saves it inside config.txt in nvram:.
    Anyway, the baud rate must be correct, because you can see the
    messages come across the wire.

    So you have RX, just not TX.

    Doug McIntyre, Aug 7, 2006
  5. JaredBowe

    Merv Guest

    You might want to try using a different terminal emulator to see if it
    makes nay difference- checkout SimpleTerm Gold

    Merv, Aug 7, 2006
  6. JaredBowe

    JaredBowe Guest

    I've used a different emulator (hyperterminal) but I'll give that one a
    try. I've also used different computers.

    JaredBowe, Aug 8, 2006
  7. JaredBowe

    JaredBowe Guest

    I just got a new "Console Cable" and that still doesn't work. I've
    taken a look at the pins and they seem fine to me. And I believe your
    correct... I'm not sending data. On the other switch I have a "cd"
    light come on in my emulator but not on this switch.

    JaredBowe, Aug 8, 2006
  8. JaredBowe

    JaredBowe Guest

    I don't think that's possible. But someone could prove me wrong.

    JaredBowe, Aug 8, 2006
  9. JaredBowe

    Merv Guest

    Try a different emulator and also try setting flow control to off in
    your emulator

    Merv, Aug 8, 2006