Trouble connecting to a 'non ssid broadcasting' wifi network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Gregor Stefka, Dec 30, 2008.

  1. Hi all,

    i try to keep it small and to the point:
    i ve got a Toshiba Protege R500 + Windows XP SP3 and all the latest greatest
    drivers+firmwares from Toshiba (auto update toshiba tool). The R500 works
    without any problems on almost all WiFi Network i ve come in touch with
    accept of two. These two (cisco aironet based) networks do not broadcast
    their SSID. Other devices (HP compaq nc6400, HP iPAQ 214, etc) can connect
    to the non-broadcasting cisco WiFi Networks without any Problem.
    The settings on the nc6400 and the Protege R500 are as far as i can tell,
    exactly the same.

    What i ve tried so far on the Protege R500:
    - Using Intel Software to manage WiFi Networks, with no luck
    - Using the Toshiba Software to manage WiFi Networks, with no luck
    - Using Windows zero config to manage WiFi Networks, with no luck

    Its preefered to use Windows zero config, the other two were just a try to
    solve the problem.
    The option "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting" is enabled.

    So: Why does the Protege R500 can connect to all and every WiFi Network
    which broadcasts its
    ssid but not to networks that do not broadcast its ssid?

    any help is greatly appreciated

    Gregor Stefka

    Gregor Stefka, Dec 30, 2008

  2. Gregor Stefka

    Pavel A. Guest

    Ok, I'll try to reply shortly and to the point.
    The driver and SP3 WZC client definitely support connection
    to non-broadcasting SSIDs.
    A sniffer can help to explain what's going:
    - configuration problem on PC side, or wrong driver version
    - configuration problem on the AP side
    - a bug :(

    Regards,
    -- PA

    Pavel A., Dec 30, 2008

  3. Can you point me in the right direction? How do I diagnose this with what
    sniffer?
    Wireshark? or some special WiFi Sniffer?
    What I am I looking for once I ve got sniffed something?

    tia
    Gregor Stefka

    Gregor Stefka, Dec 30, 2008
  4. Gregor Stefka

    Pavel A. Guest

    This already is not going to be a short reply ;)
    I've used Omnipeek, others could recommend Wireshark or something else.
    Look for probe requests from your PC for the specified SSID,
    on the channel specified on your AP; and whether
    the AP replies to them. If it does reply - what follows.

    Rergards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Dec 30, 2008
  5. Thank you for your help Pavel!
    I ve hoped that something like this (sniffing/analyzing the network traffic)
    is the absolute last resort
    and there are less drastic options for me to try first. Any local security
    policy / registry or driver
    setting of some kind,.....just something quick & simple. :-(

    Gregor Stefka

    Gregor Stefka, Dec 30, 2008
  6. Gregor Stefka

    Pavel A. Guest

    Hmm. Then can you enable SSID broadcast on the router,
    will it help? If not, the channel of the router may be
    unsupported or blocked in the wi-fi adapter,
    or the router has some kind of security, MAC address
    filtering, etc.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Dec 30, 2008