    They're medium-res JPEGs and not big enough for critical evaluation (I
    resized the horizontal shots to 1000 pixel width) but they may provide
    some entertainment value ;)

    Mark Roberts, Aug 19, 2003

  2. Mark Roberts

    Todd Walker Guest

    So lemme get this straight. You had the opportunity to take an
    unreleased digital camera out into the "wilderness" and take some shots,
    bring them home with you, and post them to the internet. Does Pentax
    know you have these on the web? I would be very interested to know the
    specifics of this encounter.

    Having said that, the shots look great.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Aug 19, 2003

  3. Mark Roberts

    Mick Ruthven Guest

    How would you compare the size of the new Pentax DSLR to the Olympus OM-1?
    The OM-1 was the first of the small 35mm SLR's and is still my film SLR, but
    since getting a G2 last Fall I haven't picked up the OM-1.

    Mick Ruthven

    Mick Ruthven, Aug 19, 2003
  4. Mark Roberts

    Mark Roberts Guest

    Well, it's bigger than my Pentax MX (which is about the same size as the
    OM-1) and slightly smaller than my Pentax MZ-S. The body had more
    front-to-back depth than the MZ-S but isn't as tall. May be *slightly*
    narrower left-to-right. I only got to use it for a couple of hours and I
    was concentrating mostly on operation and trying to get some shots.
    (Light was quite poor most of the time I had the camera.)

    Mark Roberts, Aug 19, 2003
  5. Mark Roberts

    Todd Walker Guest

    Canon is supposed to announce something big tomorrow and some (myself
    included) are guessing that the digital Rebel is what it's going to be.
    Stay tuned...

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Aug 19, 2003
  6. Mark Roberts

    Guest Guest

    did you have a chance to test its compatibility with older lenses?

    Guest, Aug 20, 2003
  7. One of the pictures was made using the old K 15mm/3.5, which proves my
    earlier point in this group that this camera can indeed use old K-mount
    lenses (but probably loses matrix metering if you do).
    http://www.robertstech.com/graphics/pages/IMGP0075.htm

    Johan W. Elzenga, Aug 20, 2003
  8. Mark Roberts

    Mark Roberts Guest

    I used my old K-series 15mm f/3.5 for a few shots, one of which is on my
    web site.

    With a K or M lens attached the camera meters but doesn't stop down the
    diaphragm when shooting, so you can only use the lens wide open...
    unless you get tricky, which I did. Basically, when mounting the lens I
    didn't twist the bayonet until it clicked in all the way. This prevents
    the stop-down arm on the lens from contacting the lever in the camera
    body so the lens behaves like a stop-down-metering lens. I was pleased
    to find that I could twist the bayonet about 90% of the way to locking
    and without engaging the stop-down lever - you could hardly tell at a
    glance that the lens wasn't mounted normally. I plan on drilling an
    extra slot in the lens flange so I will be able to lock it in place in
    this position in the future when I get my own *ist-D.

    BTW: The 15mm is the only K lens I have that I use regularly and
    certainly the only one I'd use on the DSLR.

    Mark Roberts, Aug 20, 2003