trickster on eBay Auction Site - WARNING

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rene maark, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. rene maark

    rene maark Guest

    rene maark, Aug 4, 2003

  2. rene maark

    Lucas Tam Guest

    Lucas Tam, Aug 4, 2003

  3. rene maark

    George Kerby Guest

    I would imagine that the combination of pre-approval of bidders and Euro
    1,100 opening bid for a pretty lousy c amera and a bunch of junky
    accessories would qualify. That's about 1,250 US. Considering all the crap
    accessories (microdrive exception), is the camera worth a thousand US
    dollars?

    George Kerby, Aug 4, 2003
  4. rene maark

    Lucas Tam Guest

    Doesn't the S2 retail for 2000+USD?

    Lucas Tam, Aug 4, 2003
  5. rene maark

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Gee rene.. This is the fourth eBay auction you've identified as 'fraudulent'
    without providing a *hint* of a reason why.

    I'm not even going to bother reading this site. How about *sharing* the reason
    you think this person is a trickster ?

    Or are you having fun just wasting everyone's time:

    You refer people to an auction that has a *lot* of text to read. People go
    there, carefully read through it then take guesses at what could be bad.. You
    sit on the sidelines chuckling at their futile efforts because you know
    there's nothing wrong in the first place.

    (Is this close to what you're up to) ?

    Jim Townsend, Aug 4, 2003
  6. rene maark

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 4, 2003
  7. Its not a bad deal for UK buyer, and they guy has a good rating - I don't
    see a problem either, except with the guy who posted the fraud claim!

    Les

    Les Johnstone, Aug 4, 2003
  8. rene maark

    Jimmy Guest

    I would be a bit leery. Take a look at previous sales. Shows dartgirl66 located near Atlantic
    City, and accepts paypal, etc. Now selling in Euros, located in Spain, and free shipping within the
    Netherlands. Past sales indicate dartgirl66 sells model cars, not cameras. Take a look at the
    other listings.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1085&item=2944253294
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1085&item=2944253466
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3315&item=2944253934

    Jimmy, Aug 5, 2003
  9. rene maark

    Kirby Guest

    Kirby, Aug 5, 2003
  10. rene maark

    DS Guest

    "dartgirl's" positive feedback is based on sales of plastic model kits from
    "near Atlantic City, New Jersey - USA. All are items worth a few dollars.
    From one week ago, to today, "dartgirl" moves to Spain and initiates four
    auctions for high end digital and video equipment??

    Auction is limited to "pre-approved" buyers only. Contact the seller to try
    to get on the list, and you'll find yourself pressured to purchase the
    equipment outright, and make payment by Western Union. At that point,
    you'll most certainly be out exactly the amount of money transfered.

    You would then contact ebay, only to find out that "dartgirl" had her
    account hi-jacked by some European criminal and is a victim, just like the
    poor buyer. Dartgirl probably fell victim to one of those official looking
    requests from requesting all of his/her account information.

    This auction IS a scam, and follows EXACTLY a pattern of very similar
    auctions over the past few weeks. To their credit, ebay has pulled the plug
    on each of them, probably because someone like the original poster here
    reported it to them. If you try the links to these auctions tomorrow,
    you'll probably find that they have been cancelled.

    Lighten up on the person posting the warning. He may well have saved some
    poor fool a lot of money.

    DS

    DS, Aug 5, 2003
  11. rene maark

    Jim Townsend Guest

    I've got no problem with scam warnings.. I appreciate people exposing this
    stuff.

    My contention is that the original poster has been stating that certain
    auctions are scams with absolutely nothing to back up the claims. (ie. take
    my word for it, or figure it out for yourself).

    Had he gone into detail (as you did) he would at least have some credibility
    and would have provided some education on what to look for not only in this
    auction, but similar ones following this pattern.

    Instead he was considerate enough to leave *all* the legwork up to people such
    as yourself.

    Jim Townsend, Aug 5, 2003
  12. I may sound cruel, but I feel like this does a disservice to careless,
    greedy shoppers. The red flags here are obvious. Maybe they need to get
    burned to learn the lesson.

    Take a look at this
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2942483658&category=3335

    A great deal, right? Until you read carefully and note the following
    sentence "It features a 1/2.7-inch CCD(not included) which is capable of
    recording 2.0 million pixels of visual information." Great, a camera with no
    CCD.

    When asked to clarify, the seller never answered. Consequently, I did not
    bid on the camera.

    Was this a trick? The deal was disclosed clear as day.

    Bottom line: people must beware, and when in doubt, ask. And above all, if
    it's too good to be true, it probably is.

    Juan

    Juan R. Pollo, Aug 5, 2003
  13. rene maark

    Jimmy Guest

    If you take a look at the auction now you will see that all the items up for offer are now invalid
    items. Yesterday I sent a e-mail to the person and received a response back that it was her
    auction. When I did a search on the e-mail sent to me, I found it actually came from telefonica.es.
    It appears the scam may have originated in El Salvador, and please note -- It is a scam.

    Jimmy, Aug 5, 2003
  14. rene maark

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Jimmy wrote:

    I've mentioned before.. I have no problem with scam and warning messages.

    It just would be nice if people would provide the details of what led them to
    the conclusion.. This isn't isn't always readily apparent at a glance.

    Leading the terminally stupid to such an auction might even get them to place a
    bid when they find themselves unable to find fault with it.

    Jim Townsend, Aug 5, 2003
  15. rene maark

    NoOneYouKnow Guest

    actually came from telefonica.es.
    It is a scam.

    Minor correction,

    Assuming you are guessing El Salvador based on the top level domain, .es is
    actually Spain (España.)

    http://www.iana.org/root-whois/es.htm

    ---JRE---

    NoOneYouKnow, Aug 5, 2003
  16. rene maark

    Rosedco Guest

    Scammers depend upon the buyer's ignorance and greed - otherwise they would be
    out of business

    Rosemarie

    Rosedco, Aug 5, 2003
  17. rene maark

    Jimmy Guest

    Jimmy, Aug 6, 2003
  18. Yep. A classic Western Union + stolen credit card scam.

    Andrey Tarasevich, Aug 6, 2003