    in reformating and starting all over..
    Ideas? thoughts?

    Thanks.

    Guest, Oct 19, 2005

  2. The following _should_ work, but if it doesn't, see option #2.
    =====
    Originally posted by Darrell Gorter(MSFT):

    If the two product media types are the same (ie, both OEM or both Retail),
    then:

    1.) Start the activation wizard.
    (If the machine was already activated, if you rename the WPA.DBL and
    WPA.BAK
    files, on the next boot, you will be prompted to activate so the
    activation
    wizard will run.)
    2.) Choose the option to use the Telephone.
    3.) Select the option to change the product key(button at the bottom of the
    page).
    4.) Change the key and restart the Activation Wizard
    5.) you can now actvate with the new product key over the internet or the
    phone
    whichever method you prefer.
    ======

    Option #2:
    If the first option doesn't work, you always have the choice of doing a
    "Repair Install" or in-place upgrade. (google "repair installation" and
    you'll get lots of pointers on how to do it.)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 19, 2005

  3. When the full version comes, you can do a repair install by booting from the
    CD, after accepting the F8 License agreement choose the repair method and
    you should be ok. Remember, choose the repair option after F8, not before. I
    think the only way you could get a valid key to turn your Trial into the
    full version is by calling Microsoft Help & Support, but then again how
    would you pay them, unless you are some corporation testing it and decide to
    go full blown.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 19, 2005
  4. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    The key should come with the purchased OEM version.

    John Barnes, Oct 19, 2005
  5. Hello,
    Once the trial expires it doesn't do any good to change the product key.
    Changing the key doesn't extend the time-period.
    Eval Product keys are the only keys that are accepted with eval media, so
    cannot just change from a eval product key to a non-eval product key.
    You have to upgrade to a non-eval version to remove the issue.
    This is the article that talks about what you see when the eval time period
    expires:
    It doesn't reference x64 but the behavior is the same.

    818025 Windows 2003 Server evaluation copy expiration behavior
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=818025

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    <Subject: Re: Trial version of 64 bit windows xp has expired.
    <Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:49:40 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <The following _should_ work, but if it doesn't, see option #2.
    <=====
    <======
    <
    <Option #2:
    <If the first option doesn't work, you always have the choice of doing a
    <"Repair Install" or in-place upgrade. (google "repair installation" and
    <you'll get lots of pointers on how to do it.)
    <
    <
    <
    <--
    <Charlie.
    <http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <
    <Consaka wrote:
    <> Ok the trial expires and windows will now only run for two hours at a
    <> time. Each time you get a warning at one hour till shutdown and then it
    <> shuts down just like hitting the power switch. I can find no place on the
    <> internet that tells people how this works. The one hour warning says you
    <> can fix this problem by entering a valid key but Again I can find no
    <> place that describes this procedure. Where do you enter this key once
    <> your software arrives. I build lots of computers so getting a version
    <> from zipzoom was no problem but im not sure what to do with the software
    <> when it comes. I am not interested in reformating and starting all over..
    <> Ideas? thoughts?
    <>
    <> Thanks.
    <
    <
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Oct 19, 2005
  6. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 19, 2005
  7. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    And the procedure you gave him will work fine with the key from his OEM from
    ZipZoomFly.

    John Barnes, Oct 19, 2005
  8. Ah, good, thanks Darrell. I didn't know if you could sneak by with just a
    key update. Obviously not. Well, that's why I gave him both solutions, I had
    a hunch it wouldn't be that easy. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64