Travelling Network

Discussion in 'Wireless Internet' started by Wojtek, Aug 16, 2014.

  1. Wojtek

    Wojtek Guest

    I would like to set up a rolling camping network. In my camper I have a
    printer, a tablet, a laptop, and two cell phones. These would all
    connect to my router in the camper.

    The router would connect to the campground Wifi and establish a VPN to
    my home router, which would act as a proxy. I trust my local ISP more
    than a random campground Wifi.

    If needed I could have two routers in the camper, one to run my
    network, the other to connect to the campground Wifi.

    I have seen three ways that campgrounds are set up:
    - open network
    - open network, but it requires a login (usually using a browser)
    - closed network with a passphrase

    Ideally I would arrive, get the campground credentials from the office,
    connect to my router, establish a session with the campground Wifi,
    then simply use my devices without any other configurations.

    I don't care which router(s) I get, and I can flash a new OS if need
    be.

    Is this possible?

    Wojtek, Aug 16, 2014

  2. Wojtek-

    It probably would work, but I use a slightly different system. I have a
    cellular modem that plugs into a USB port.

    I use mine with a compatible Cradlepoint WiFi router. My printer is
    connected to one of the Cradlepoint's Ethernet ports. The computer and
    iPad connect by WiFi.

    A campground's WiFi may have faster speeds than the cellular modem, but
    you would be prepared when you visit a campground that does not have
    WiFi. Using a DC-to-AC inverter to power the router, your passengers
    can use the system while riding in the car.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Aug 16, 2014

  3. Wojtek

    Wojtek Guest

    Fred McKenzie wrote :
    I thought about that, setting up a hotspot using my cell phone, then
    everything connected to it. But data plans can be expensive, while
    campground Wifi is included.

    If there is no available Wifi, then I could use the trailer router to
    connect to my phone.

    Wojtek, Aug 16, 2014
  4. Wojtek

    miso Guest

    Wojtek wrote:

    You need a router that is a wifi client on the wan side. DDWRT does this, but it is uncharted territory for me.

    It sounds like a wireless bridge would do what you want, but you would have
    to handle the proxy on a per device basis (I think).

    If you get this to work, let us know.

    miso, Aug 19, 2014
  5. Wojtek

    Char Jackson Guest

    I ran that way for several years. dd-wrt can be bridged into a WiFi network,
    or it can act as a client. The former allows connections to be initiated in
    either direction, while the latter is more like a NAT router in that it only
    allows outbound initiated connections. Also, the former typically puts
    everything into the same IP address space while the latter will have
    different IP ranges on the two sides of the dd-wrt device.

    Char Jackson, Aug 19, 2014