    happen to the pics I have stored?

    Thanks!

    Natalie

    Natalie, Aug 31, 2003

  2. While it is generally considered safe to allow a digital camera to pass
    through an airport X-ray inspection, I don't. I always have the inspectors
    do a manual inspection of my digital cameras.

    Bye.

    David Sommers, Aug 31, 2003

  3. No problem. I do suggest you carry the camera with you and not ship it
    in your checked luggage. The checked luggage is subject to much more
    aggressive X-rays and while even those are not likely to harm a digital,
    they are a lot closer to the limit. Maybe more important however is the
    chance of it being stolen.

    Don't worry about the X-ray and other security machines and checks for
    carry on luggage, it is safe.

    Joseph Meehan, Aug 31, 2003
  4. Natalie

    PTRAVEL Guest

    No need to worry. X-rays have no effect on digital storage.

    PTRAVEL, Aug 31, 2003
  5. Natalie

    PTRAVEL Guest

    If you mean the checked baggage scanners, you're right -- there's no harm.
    However, it is a very, very bad idea to send valuables in checked bags
    anywhere in the world, but particularly in the US, where TSA has a license
    to break in, and airlines disclaim all responsibility for theft.

    In years of frequent travelling domestically and internationally, I can
    count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've been asked to turn
    on my computer. I've never been asked to turn on any of the other
    electronics I carry, including digital and video cameras.

    I carry my electronics in my carry-ons, put it on the carry-on scanner and
    do _not_ ask for hand inspections, which will only guarantee a heightened
    level of attention from inspectors.

    PTRAVEL, Aug 31, 2003
  6. Natalie

    Godfrey Guest

    As others have said, there's nothing to worry about. Keep it in carry-on
    luggage and turn it on if the inspectors need to see it. I've flown on about
    30 trips now with the digital cameras and it's so much less hassle than
    worrying about film I can't tell you how great it feels ...

    Godfrey

    Godfrey, Aug 31, 2003
  7. Natalie

    Tumbleweed Guest

    Why? Do you like to hold the people up behind you or something?

    Tumbleweed, Sep 1, 2003
  8. Natalie

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Haven't flown since 9/11 I guess. Try flying through Houston Hobby
    airport someday. They will have you turn on, boot up, and run a program
    on your laptop!

    Ron Hunter, Sep 1, 2003
  9. Ron,
    your last comment reminds me of the old joke.......
    Breakfast in London, lunch in New York and baggage in Cairo.

    Chris.

    Chris McBrien, Sep 1, 2003
  10. Natalie

    PTRAVEL Guest

    I've had well over 100 flights since 9/11. Continental is my primary
    carrier, so I go through Houston all the time, though not Hobby. If they
    are doing what you've described at Hobby, it's the exception and not the
    rule. Is Hobby staffed by TSA, or is it one of the airports that are still
    staffed by the private security cretins?

    PTRAVEL, Sep 1, 2003
  11. It was a typo. What a difference an 'e' makes.

    It should have read:
    Many places in the world, it's perfectly all right, but you would be mad
    to put anything as valuable in checked baggage if travelling to or through
    the US where it will be stolen as a precuation against turrism.

    Simon Gardner, Sep 1, 2003
  12. Natalie

    PTRAVEL Guest

    Ah, yes -- big difference! ;)

    PTRAVEL, Sep 1, 2003
  13. Ah, yes -- big difference! ;)[/QUOTE]

    We travel with a great deal of optics - we are both birdwatchers (or
    birders, as I believe they are called in the US). We have padlocked
    protective crates for our equipment but won't be going to the US again
    whilst the vandalism (including wrecking of luggage as well as a great deal
    of theft) continues. This sort of thing doesn't happen anywhere we have
    flown in Europe.

    Simon Gardner, Sep 1, 2003
  14. Natalie

    Mike Graham Guest

    I just did this yesterday. I had a momentary twinge as the camera and
    SmartMedia cards went through the x-ray machine, but everything was fine.
    The pictures were still there and all was good. Well, most of the pictures
    sucked, but that's to be expected. :cool: The x-rays didn't harm the data
    stored on my SmartMedia cards. That's one data point for you, anyway. I
    had to turn the camera on so they could see the LCD screen work. They also
    put a sniffer on my battery charger (they had seen on the x-ray the metal
    prongs that go into the wall outlet). I took my camera as carry-on luggage.
    Despite the usual 'two carry-on only' rule they didn't seem to care that I
    had my camera bag seperate, mind you it's not a big bag - a LowePro Nova
    Mini AW... about the same displacement as a 12-pack of soda pop. I guess it
    fell into the 'purse' category or something.

    <http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>

    Mike Graham, Sep 1, 2003
  15. Natalie

    Mike Graham Guest

    Canada. I had to turn it on on both ends of the trip - for the flight to
    Nova Scotia and the flight back.
    I'll remember that. Thanks.

    <http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>

    Mike Graham, Sep 1, 2003
  16. Natalie

    Don Forsling Guest

    Have your camera destroyed by WHAT? There is nothing used at an airport
    inspection point that could possibly "destroy" a digital camera, storage
    media, etc. Period.

    Don Forsling, Sep 1, 2003